I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- #ux how would you improve this @United Apple watch experience. http://t.co/z9DOIImQIu 18 hours ago
- A reminder that your Instagram photos aren’t really yours: Someone else can sell them for $90,000 washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-bl… 2 days ago
- It's amazing how quickly @Bankoff took a sports blogging network and turned it into a media powerhouse. 2 days ago
- Congratulations to @karaswisher and @Bankoff. A great combination. 2 days ago
- Landlord just hit me with a 22% rent increase. #lifeinSF #talkrent 3 days ago
- A day with the new Spotify May 29, 2015
- Can Nintendo’s mobile games succeed without targeting whales? May 29, 2015
- 10,000 websites block Congress in digital protest of Patriot Act stalemate May 29, 2015
- Google unveils Project Vault, a micro-SD card for storing sensitive data May 29, 2015
- 40M downloads on, Readdle adds a slick email client to its suite of iOS productivity apps May 29, 2015
- Got dev? Here’s why Agile isn’t enough (webinar) May 29, 2015
- GamesBeat weekly roundup: FIFA adds women, Batman hands-on, and announcing GamesBeat 2015 May 29, 2015
- The DeanBeat: The flap about FIFA’s new female soccer players shows progress and setbacks May 29, 2015
- In a mobile-first world, 74% of consumers still buy products using a computer May 29, 2015
- Nexpaq’s crowdfunded modular smartphone case may just crush Google’s Project Ara May 29, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Because manholes are round
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Yelp advertiser agreement
Monthly Archives: March 2012
Groupon was forced to restate fourth quarter earnings, sending its stock down 6% in after-hours trading. This surprised me as much as my $2 investment in the Mega Millions jackpot not paying off. The reasons for Groupon’s restatement were higher … Continue reading
I’ll be in New York next week. I’m holding office hours at the Standard Biergarten starting at 6:30 p.m. Stop by and say “Hi!” Tweet at @rakeshlobster if you’re coming. (I’ll tweet when I’m leaving.)
This contains a summary of my work, where I’ve been quoted by others as well as some other highlights of the week. My work PayPal at retail is a terrible product — I had a chance to look at PayPal’s new … Continue reading
Grim This chart shows U.S. newspaper print revenue in nominal dollars. Grimmer Take the same data and adjust it for inflation. Now we’re nearly at 1950 levels. (2011 dollars) Grimmest Now take the inflation adjusted data and do a per … Continue reading
I’m testing a new feature summarizing my work and interesting finds of the week. This will contain a summary of my work, where I’ve been quoted by others as well as some other highlights of the week. My work 11 … Continue reading
No, I will not be at SXSW this year. But in an effort to make connecting with me easier, I’m posting a public calendar.