I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Any idea what bottom two symbols mean? http://t.co/LaOvo2fbiN 10 hours ago
- Crowd sourcing: what to do a on a coooooold Saturday in NYC? 17 hours ago
- Huge congratulations to @skrenta and @glindahl on @blemish joining IBM Watson. Fantastic team. 17 hours ago
- LIVE on #Periscope: Live from Times Square periscope.tv/w/VvfnWDU4NDM5… 17 hours ago
- RT @Chris_DL: New version of BBC News Headlines for @Pebble in color, with timeline! New design will also be available on Aplite. http://t.… 1 day ago
- Boeing has patented a ‘Star Wars’-style force field March 29, 2015
- A 4-inch iPhone 6 would be welcomed by many users (but will Apple deliver?) March 28, 2015
- The five most ignorant media myths about electric cars March 28, 2015
- The Backed Pack: A security sensor, an all-in-one charger, & a smart messenger bag March 28, 2015
- Social-good gaming will only reach its potential when women do too March 28, 2015
- Employment attorneys differ on the legacy of Ellen Pao case March 28, 2015
- Hillary Clinton deleted everything on her email server March 28, 2015
- Dear VCs: Clean up your websites March 28, 2015
- Startups cash in on the cashless economy: TRANSACT 15 (March 31- April 2) March 28, 2015
- Super Evil Megacorp’s Kristian Segerstrale and IGDA’s Kate Edwards join GamesBeat Summit March 28, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon's cost of revenue is soaring
- Sam Altman will clean your house for $5
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
Monthly Archives: March 2012
Groupon was forced to restate fourth quarter earnings, sending its stock down 6% in after-hours trading. This surprised me as much as my $2 investment in the Mega Millions jackpot not paying off. The reasons for Groupon’s restatement were higher … Continue reading
I’ll be in New York next week. I’m holding office hours at the Standard Biergarten starting at 6:30 p.m. Stop by and say “Hi!” Tweet at @rakeshlobster if you’re coming. (I’ll tweet when I’m leaving.)
This contains a summary of my work, where I’ve been quoted by others as well as some other highlights of the week. My work PayPal at retail is a terrible product – I had a chance to look at PayPal’s new … Continue reading
Grim This chart shows U.S. newspaper print revenue in nominal dollars. Grimmer Take the same data and adjust it for inflation. Now we’re nearly at 1950 levels. (2011 dollars) Grimmest Now take the inflation adjusted data and do a per … Continue reading
I’m testing a new feature summarizing my work and interesting finds of the week. This will contain a summary of my work, where I’ve been quoted by others as well as some other highlights of the week. My work 11 … Continue reading
No, I will not be at SXSW this year. But in an effort to make connecting with me easier, I’m posting a public calendar.