I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- "~80 percent of Chevron customers in the U.S. pay for gas at the pump using a credit or debit card." 20% are still going inside? wow. 30 minutes ago
- RT @jrichlive: Amazon had $16M in sales in 1996, the year before its IPO. And it faced perilous market risk: secinfo.com/dr6nd.818y.htm… http://… 41 minutes ago
- RT @conorsen: Nice find by @MylesUdland. College mailrooms are becoming capacity-constrained thanks to Amazon Prime. dailycampus.com/stories/2015/1… 46 minutes ago
- RT @JonErlichman: Instagram turns 5 today. User growth recap (M=million) Dec '14 300M Mar '14 200M Sep '12 100M Dec '10 1M Oct '10 100,0… 46 minutes ago
- Couldn't agree more. twitter.com/ryandawidjan/s… 1 hour ago
- Funding Daily: Today’s tech funding news, in one place October 6, 2015
- Everything Microsoft announced at its Windows 10 hardware event October 6, 2015
- Keep more of your revenue: A startup’s cheat sheet to tax compliance (On demand webinar) October 6, 2015
- IA map shows human-intelligence tech is surging October 6, 2015
- Hands-on with Microsoft’s Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book October 6, 2015
- Facebook now lets you doodle on photos October 6, 2015
- Postmates takes on UberEats with launch of 15-minute food delivery service October 6, 2015
- Internet of Things to be used in 1.9B devices by 2020 October 6, 2015
- Introducing Stephen Kleckner, our new games-gadgets writer October 6, 2015
- Upvoted is Reddit’s new standalone site for original content, and it’s live now October 6, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Custom pictures come to credit cards
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
Monthly Archives: March 2012
Groupon was forced to restate fourth quarter earnings, sending its stock down 6% in after-hours trading. This surprised me as much as my $2 investment in the Mega Millions jackpot not paying off. The reasons for Groupon’s restatement were higher … Continue reading
I’ll be in New York next week. I’m holding office hours at the Standard Biergarten starting at 6:30 p.m. Stop by and say “Hi!” Tweet at @rakeshlobster if you’re coming. (I’ll tweet when I’m leaving.)
This contains a summary of my work, where I’ve been quoted by others as well as some other highlights of the week. My work PayPal at retail is a terrible product — I had a chance to look at PayPal’s new … Continue reading
Grim This chart shows U.S. newspaper print revenue in nominal dollars. Grimmer Take the same data and adjust it for inflation. Now we’re nearly at 1950 levels. (2011 dollars) Grimmest Now take the inflation adjusted data and do a per … Continue reading
I’m testing a new feature summarizing my work and interesting finds of the week. This will contain a summary of my work, where I’ve been quoted by others as well as some other highlights of the week. My work 11 … Continue reading
No, I will not be at SXSW this year. But in an effort to make connecting with me easier, I’m posting a public calendar.