I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- "~80 percent of Chevron customers in the U.S. pay for gas at the pump using a credit or debit card." 20% are still going inside? wow. 17 hours ago
- RT @jrichlive: Amazon had $16M in sales in 1996, the year before its IPO. And it faced perilous market risk: secinfo.com/dr6nd.818y.htm… http://… 17 hours ago
- RT @conorsen: Nice find by @MylesUdland. College mailrooms are becoming capacity-constrained thanks to Amazon Prime. dailycampus.com/stories/2015/1… 17 hours ago
- RT @JonErlichman: Instagram turns 5 today. User growth recap (M=million) Dec '14 300M Mar '14 200M Sep '12 100M Dec '10 1M Oct '10 100,0… 17 hours ago
- Couldn't agree more. twitter.com/ryandawidjan/s… 18 hours ago
- 3 problems that sabatoge analytics every time — and 4 ways to solve them October 7, 2015
- Funding Daily: Today’s tech funding news, in one place October 7, 2015
- Predictive intelligence for marketers: 1:1 personalization at scale (webinar) October 7, 2015
- Samsung and Barnes & Noble launch the Galaxy Tab E Nook, a $250 9.6-inch tablet for readers October 7, 2015
- Google unveils Accelerated Mobile Pages Project, its answer to Facebook’s Instant Articles October 7, 2015
- Windows 10 Mobile is coming to Windows Phone devices in December October 7, 2015
- Immortals esports team raises money from an elite investment consortium October 7, 2015
- Saudi prince bumps stake in Twitter to 5.17% October 7, 2015
- AppDirect raises $140M to grow its SaaS app store for enterprises globally October 7, 2015
- LinkedIn debuts metric to help salespeople benchmark their performance October 7, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
Monthly Archives: April 2007
In New Orleans for my second post-Katrina Jazz Fest.
This is a half Earth Day/half bad marketing rant. If you’re running a conference and want to give out T-shirts, make the designs something people will want to wear. I’m talking to you, Search Engine Strategies. Your T-shirt is so … Continue reading
Every week, I get an email from United Airlines telling me about their e-fares for the coming weekend. Almost every week, I ignore this email because the information isn’t relevant to me. This week’s email includes fares from Burbank to … Continue reading
I got an unpleasant surprise today – an avalanche of spam in 90 minutes. And technically, I was the one sending it. Or at least that’s what the mailservers thought. Our current email system was created in a time when … Continue reading
I added a video clip from The Simpsons to the Marge Simpson discovers Google post. It’s also below. Enjoy.
The American Institute of Architects has a compilation of 150 structures as part of the online exhibit America’s Favorite Architecture. As with any such “top” list, there’s bound to be disagreement, but the site is worth exploring. The list is … Continue reading
Today’s Wall Street Journal has a story on the hassles of buying online and picking up in store (subscription required). The story includes experiences where the item isn’t available, orders are canceled and other inconveniences. It fairly accurately reflects my … Continue reading