I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- #RIPTwitter Wow. People are really pissed. I couldn't be happier. This could greatly improve Twitter's signal and attract mainstream users. 6 hours ago
- "At least 36 brokerages cut their price targets"... it's always nice when analysts look in the rearview mirror to make their forecasts. 13 hours ago
- I'd be tempted to buy a drone to capture the footage of the FAA shooting it down. 13 hours ago
- The FAA says it will shoot down your drone if you fly within 36 miles of the Super Bowl yahoo.com/tech/faa-says-… 13 hours ago
- RT @panzer: An algorithmic Twitter (execution crucial, obv) is a better, more useful Twitter to a wider variety of people https://t.co/JjwW… 14 hours ago
- Amazon starts to care about profit margins February 6, 2016
- Those Super Bowl instant replays you’ll love run off Intel’s tech February 6, 2016
- The next wave in storytelling is short-form video February 6, 2016
- Google launches Android Studio 2.0 beta with Cold Swap, app indexing improvements, and multi-touch support February 6, 2016
- U.S., Britain consider letting spy agencies, police seek email, chat data from companies February 6, 2016
- Indiegogo lays off some employees in restructuring February 6, 2016
- The Pirate Bay now uses Torrents Time to let you stream all its movies and TV shows February 5, 2016
- Watch us play Unravel, an adorable puzzle platformer from Electronic Arts February 5, 2016
- LinkedIn sheds $11 billion on stock’s worst day since debut February 5, 2016
- Big in Tehran: Inside Iran’s $140M console and PC market February 5, 2016
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Because manholes are round
- Why small businesses are snapping up the daily deal
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
Monthly Archives: April 2007
In New Orleans for my second post-Katrina Jazz Fest.
This is a half Earth Day/half bad marketing rant. If you’re running a conference and want to give out T-shirts, make the designs something people will want to wear. I’m talking to you, Search Engine Strategies. Your T-shirt is so … Continue reading
Every week, I get an email from United Airlines telling me about their e-fares for the coming weekend. Almost every week, I ignore this email because the information isn’t relevant to me. This week’s email includes fares from Burbank to … Continue reading
I got an unpleasant surprise today – an avalanche of spam in 90 minutes. And technically, I was the one sending it. Or at least that’s what the mailservers thought. Our current email system was created in a time when … Continue reading
I added a video clip from The Simpsons to the Marge Simpson discovers Google post. It’s also below. Enjoy.
The American Institute of Architects has a compilation of 150 structures as part of the online exhibit America’s Favorite Architecture. As with any such “top” list, there’s bound to be disagreement, but the site is worth exploring. The list is … Continue reading
Today’s Wall Street Journal has a story on the hassles of buying online and picking up in store (subscription required). The story includes experiences where the item isn’t available, orders are canceled and other inconveniences. It fairly accurately reflects my … Continue reading