I needed to cancel one of my credit cards. I rarely use the card and didn’t want to pay the $75 annual fee. I called Citi to cancel. Of course this is never an easy process. They transfered me to a retention specialist.
In order, here are the offers I was presented:
- 2,500 bonus ThankYou Points
- $75 statement credit (this was after saying on the first offer that he couldn’t waive the fee)
- A balance transfer at 3.99% for the life of the balance
- A balance transfer at 3.99% for the life of the balance, without any transaction fee
- 5,000 bonus ThankYou Points
He persisted even after I told him that I was doing the bulk of my spending on another Citi card.
I could hear the disappointment in his voice when I canceled despite his best efforts.