Yahoo’s new, improved maps

I was geotagging some pictures on Flickr and noticed that Yahoo! Maps has dramatically improved.

Yahoo! Maps facelift

Things that jumped out at me:

I can’t see the old version; some of these things may have existed in the previous version and I hadn’t noticed them.

Overall, it feels much better. Still not as good as Google Maps.

Update: The Yahoo! Local blog has details on this release of Maps. Another really cool feature: the ability to request driving directions by landmarks. Here’s a route from the White House to Andrews Air Force Base. Yahoo! also adds building outlines in New York and San Francisco, similar to what Google has done on a larger scale.

Rev. Dan Catts covers flickr and the new Maps on his blog.

More on: maps, Yahoo, Google.

Advertisements

About Rakesh Agrawal

Rakesh Agrawal is Senior Director of product at Amazon (Audible). Previously, he launched local and mobile products for Microsoft and AOL. His personal blog is at http://blog.agrawals.org and tweets at @rakeshlobster.
This entry was posted in google, maps, transit, yahoo. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Yahoo’s new, improved maps

1. Pingback: geobloggers » Yahoo maps gets another facelift.

2. Pingback: Geobloggers: Yahoo maps gets a facelift...much better « Identity Unknown

3. johnny whitt says:

very poor service cannot even locate the simplest of streets no matter which way u type in address with zip city state will not come up.

4. Rosemary says:

I HATE the new yahoo maps — it sucks and blows. Why not give people a choice of the old and the new?!

5. Bev says:

I too am disappointed in the new yahoo maps. I am in real estate and I use it numerous times every day to find directions for several different properties. With the new layout I have to type in the entire address including state and zip, whereas before it gave you a separate box for the address, City, State and Zip so I didn’t have to retype the entire address, just the street. I do not use Yahoo Maps at all anymore. I’ve moved on to another venue.

6. MARIA says:

I HATE THIS NEW MAP IT SHOULD BE REMOVED. I LLIKE THE OLD ONE MUCH BETTER.

7. polly says:

My husband drives a tracter-trailor truck, I have to look up his trips, to help him on the road. It would really help ,if you had a map for big trucks. There is so many roads out there, that a big truck is not allowed on. I love using yahoo maps , but I have too,make the big guess too send him down the road ,or,not. If you can come up with a map like that,,, You would have me for life!!! Thank You

8. Barry says:

Please give back the old Dial-up map while you fix the ten saved location limit on the new map. Whoever thought that was a suitable workaround should be shot then fired. idiot!

9. M A Rahaman says:

Hi,
    This yahoo map is very helpful for every one shows the directory of business center. I am very impressive for this yahoo map.

Thanks & Regards