I was stuck at Laguardia yesterday and had the opportunity to stare at the flight information display at the Delta gate. The monitors show a rotating array of information, including:
- Arrival time and origin of the next flight to that gate
- Departure time of the next flight from the gate
- Estimated flight time and expected time of arrival
- U.S. radar, so you can see all the thunderstorms that will interfere with your trip
- Weather forecast for the destination
- Number of seats assigned/unassigned
- Standby list in priority order (names shortened for privacy)
- First-class standby list in priority order (names shortened for privacy)
- Reason for the current delay
The screens even tell you where the bathroom and Crown Room Club are (none in the Delta Shuttle terminal). The standby list even gives you their priority system, so you know who can bump you down the list.
Every routine question I used to stand in line for is answered by the display. It’s a simple thing that makes life simples for both the airline and the passenger.