I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @qualityrye: Reservations transparency = listing "sold out" seats vs. "not offered" seats vs. how many seats left. Nice, @tock http://t.… 1 hour ago
- Shorted $WU yesterday based on my love for Facebook Messenger Money. 7% overnight return. Long way down. @davidmarcus 10 hours ago
- Testing (really) Facebook Messenger Money. http://t.co/bV8abnMJSE 19 hours ago
- I'm up to 4 incredible products this year: @amazonecho @mypebblebee @googlephotos Apple Watch / cc @elatable 23 hours ago
- I'm loving @mypebblebee. Great way to keep track of my keys. http://t.co/FTqi6lOxZV 1 day ago
- AOL to manage Microsoft ads: Why increased consolidation is good news July 3, 2015
- Ophan: Inside the Guardian’s data-driven newsroom July 3, 2015
- Cannes Lions: Advertising and marketing execs slowly learning to love their new tech overlords July 3, 2015
- Apple, BlackBerry, and Google: The next round of gadget leaks has begun July 3, 2015
- GamesBeat weekly roundup: Nintendo gets catty, mobile MOBA, and gaming rebellions July 3, 2015
- This is the rare PlayStation console built by Sony and Nintendo July 3, 2015
- The DeanBeat: 22 industry leaders sound off on gaming July 3, 2015
- Achieve Lending seeks $500K in crowdfunding for student loan search engine July 3, 2015
- Uber blames French woes on poor communication, but it has nothing to do with poor communication July 3, 2015
- Uber suspends UberPOP in France, citing safety and legal concerns July 3, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Rakesh's quick guide to investing for the lay person
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Because manholes are round
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
Monthly Archives: December 2007
This week’s interesting reads: Futurist: Digital TV’s Mixed Signals (CQ) – Congressional Quarterly takes a look at the impact of government action/inaction on the development and adoption of technology. As we near the Feb. 2009 date when analog broadcasting in … Continue reading
Since I wrote earlier about the difficulties I had using search engines to find deep dish pizza, this blog has become the number one Google result for the query “deep dish pizza at O’Hare.” In the interest of serving my … Continue reading
I’ve spent much of this year in airports and on airplanes. (Including 11 hours at O’Hare on Sunday for a fruitless trip.) Over the years, I’ve developed strategies for coping with the hassles of air travel. I hope you don’t … Continue reading
Merry Christmas to one and all and best wishes for a very happy new year. It’s been quite the interesting year at Casa Rocky. I’ve reaffirmed the power of friendship in a sometimes difficult year, spending time with and getting … Continue reading
I’ve been waiting at O’Hare now for five hours now. I still have at least three hours to go, assuming United doesn’t cancel my flight. My scheduled 5:45 p.m. flight is showing an estimated departure time of 10:33 p.m. It’s … Continue reading
This week’s round up of interesting reads and views: Why Nobody Likes a Smart Machine (NYTimes) – A look at usability issues and the impact of product design on humans. It comes ahead of Christmas Day, when many people will … Continue reading