I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- If you haven't shut off @periscopeco notifications yet, Apple Watch will ensure you do. If Watch gets rid of spammy notifications, good. 8 hours ago
- Instaverdict on Apple Watch: slow and buggy. Photos app in particular is a disaster. 10 hours ago
- My usual reliable package receiving service screwed up my apple watch orders. Frustrating. 14 hours ago
- RT @redesignmobile: Excited to welcome @NRellas and @wartzack as the latest investors in @redesignmobile. Great to have such smart people o… 15 hours ago
- It would be awesome if @periscopeco or @AppMeerkat did chroma key. I'd switch just for that. 15 hours ago
- 2016 Toyota Mirai is first fuel-cell car to pace a NASCAR race April 26, 2015
- Why Amazon paid for 2,000 employees to take classes in things like airplane mechanics and nursing April 26, 2015
- The future of augmented reality could be a contact lens (podcast) April 25, 2015
- Tesla Motors website and Twitter account were hacked April 25, 2015
- Glass a failure? Luxottica and Google may turn ‘Glassholes’ into fashion plates April 25, 2015
- Canada’s opt-in rules could change marketing as we know it April 25, 2015
- A change in Facebook’s top paid execs speaks volumes about the company’s priorities April 25, 2015
- Apple Watch teardown reveals deactivated blood oxygen sensors April 25, 2015
- The live-stream video tweet battle: Meerkat’s still fighting, but Periscope is winning April 25, 2015
- Skype for iPhone gets Apple Watch support, but no voice or video calling just yet April 25, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
- Groupon's cost of revenue is soaring
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Think Groupon is a technology company? Think again.
- My technology adoption history
Monthly Archives: December 2007
This week’s interesting reads: Futurist: Digital TV’s Mixed Signals (CQ) – Congressional Quarterly takes a look at the impact of government action/inaction on the development and adoption of technology. As we near the Feb. 2009 date when analog broadcasting in … Continue reading
Since I wrote earlier about the difficulties I had using search engines to find deep dish pizza, this blog has become the number one Google result for the query “deep dish pizza at O’Hare.” In the interest of serving my … Continue reading
I’ve spent much of this year in airports and on airplanes. (Including 11 hours at O’Hare on Sunday for a fruitless trip.) Over the years, I’ve developed strategies for coping with the hassles of air travel. I hope you don’t … Continue reading
Merry Christmas to one and all and best wishes for a very happy new year. It’s been quite the interesting year at Casa Rocky. I’ve reaffirmed the power of friendship in a sometimes difficult year, spending time with and getting … Continue reading
I’ve been waiting at O’Hare now for five hours now. I still have at least three hours to go, assuming United doesn’t cancel my flight. My scheduled 5:45 p.m. flight is showing an estimated departure time of 10:33 p.m. It’s … Continue reading
This week’s round up of interesting reads and views: Why Nobody Likes a Smart Machine (NYTimes) – A look at usability issues and the impact of product design on humans. It comes ahead of Christmas Day, when many people will … Continue reading