I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- A video from 1995 looking at launching online newspapers. 1MP cameras "coming soon". $13.95/month for 5hrs usage. youtube.com/watch?v=sIdF_i… 1 day ago
- Everything You Need To Know About The Google-Twitter Partnership searchengineland.com/everything-nee… 2 days ago
- Any idea what bottom two symbols mean? http://t.co/LaOvo2fbiN 3 days ago
- Crowd sourcing: what to do a on a coooooold Saturday in NYC? 4 days ago
- Huge congratulations to @skrenta and @glindahl on @blemish joining IBM Watson. Fantastic team. 4 days ago
- Facebook and Google will speak on global game partnerships at GamesBeat Summit April 1, 2015
- OMsignal talks about course corrections at VB’s Montreal Roadshow tomorrow April 1, 2015
- Debut of Laura Saggers’ new single and video on Snapchat hints at app’s grander media ambitions April 1, 2015
- Sprinklr partners with SAP hybris to integrate commerce and social media April 1, 2015
- SuperAwesome partners with Bee7 to create a kid-safe, legally compliant mobile games ad network April 1, 2015
- Let’s play a game: Real announcement or April Fools’ Day gag? April 1, 2015
- The best of tech’s April Fools gags: Hailo Piggyback, hand-crafted selfie sticks, UberLIONS April 1, 2015
- The geek shall inherit the earth: The age of developer-defined infrastructure April 1, 2015
- Big data analytics can prevent health care fraud. Here’s how April 1, 2015
- DroneDeploy tech creates aerial maps in real time, often before a drone even lands April 1, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
- Yelp advertiser agreement
Monthly Archives: December 2007
This week’s interesting reads: Futurist: Digital TV’s Mixed Signals (CQ) – Congressional Quarterly takes a look at the impact of government action/inaction on the development and adoption of technology. As we near the Feb. 2009 date when analog broadcasting in … Continue reading
Since I wrote earlier about the difficulties I had using search engines to find deep dish pizza, this blog has become the number one Google result for the query “deep dish pizza at O’Hare.” In the interest of serving my … Continue reading
I’ve spent much of this year in airports and on airplanes. (Including 11 hours at O’Hare on Sunday for a fruitless trip.) Over the years, I’ve developed strategies for coping with the hassles of air travel. I hope you don’t … Continue reading
Merry Christmas to one and all and best wishes for a very happy new year. It’s been quite the interesting year at Casa Rocky. I’ve reaffirmed the power of friendship in a sometimes difficult year, spending time with and getting … Continue reading
I’ve been waiting at O’Hare now for five hours now. I still have at least three hours to go, assuming United doesn’t cancel my flight. My scheduled 5:45 p.m. flight is showing an estimated departure time of 10:33 p.m. It’s … Continue reading
This week’s round up of interesting reads and views: Why Nobody Likes a Smart Machine (NYTimes) – A look at usability issues and the impact of product design on humans. It comes ahead of Christmas Day, when many people will … Continue reading