I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- So sorry to hear of the death of Ed Gilligan. A great leader in the payments industry passes way too early. 11 hours ago
- RT @cdixon: GMV is not revenue. 14 hours ago
- #ux how would you improve this @United Apple watch experience. http://t.co/z9DOIImQIu 1 day ago
- A reminder that your Instagram photos aren’t really yours: Someone else can sell them for $90,000 washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-bl… 2 days ago
- It's amazing how quickly @Bankoff took a sports blogging network and turned it into a media powerhouse. 3 days ago
- Google’s surprising portal into the future of virtual reality May 30, 2015
- Tech media companies find that rapid growth doesn’t come easy May 30, 2015
- Google will hold Ubiquitous Computing Summit in San Francisco this fall May 30, 2015
- With Google’s Jacquard, wearable technology may have just grown up May 29, 2015
- It’s the network, not the ‘things,’ that will make IoT revolutionary May 29, 2015
- Microsoft releases Windows 10 preview for PCs with Cortana keyboard shortcut, default to filtered Taskbar in virtual desktops May 29, 2015
- Android Pay’s debut means Google Wallet will live on as a P2P payments app May 29, 2015
- Many Apple Watch owners see device as a want, not a need (survey) May 29, 2015
- Salesforce acquires smart calendar app Tempo AI, will shut it down on June 30 May 29, 2015
- First Apple HomeKit-controlled devices will reportedly start showing up next week May 29, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
Monthly Archives: June 2011
In early May, I bought a Groupon for Robb’s Really Good Food. It’s a food cart in Portland, Ore. Before I got a chance to use it, Robb sold his food cart. (He plans to open a new one.) I … Continue reading
I know there has been a lot of negativity on this blog lately in connection with my coverage of the daily deals space. New readers may be wondering, what the hell? Does this guy like anything? Well, in fact I … Continue reading
That’s right, the CEO of Loopt will personally clean your house for $5. But only if 1,000 people sign up. Only, I haven’t told him about the deal yet. He may not agree, but I’m using his name anyway. Hell, … Continue reading
I admit it. I am in the bag for Virgin America. I have been since before they took off. (Literally.) I once live tweeted a flight to San Diego using their in-flight WiFi. Savvy travelers will recognize that the picture … Continue reading
Here is a sample merchant agreement that I received. This one is from January 2011. Merchant Agreement Date of Agreement: 1/XX/2011 Merchant Name(herein referred to as “Merchant”): This “Merchant Agreement” or “Agreement”, effective as of the above date (“Effective Date”), … Continue reading