I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @angusdav: Machine Learning for the win … @Swipely predicts how many peeps will come to your restaurant tonight, NRMSE ± 12% 👏 https://t… 22 hours ago
- RT @Bill_Gross: "Total cash on hand of digital co's is 5x more than market cap of all 4 major TV networks." TKawaja #UpFrontSummit https:/… 22 hours ago
- If you combine market caps of $YELP, $GRUB, $GRPN, $ANGI total is still less than the $6B Google offered for $GRPN. 23 hours ago
- Twitter Inc: Here's Why TWTR Stock Will Go to Zero | InvestorPlace investorplace.com/2016/02/twtr-s… What a load of crap. 23 hours ago
- RT @mdudas: $YELP, $GRUB and $GRPN all trading at ~ $1.5B market cap. $SQ at ~ $2.6B. Mobile local commerce is hard stuff if you're not $GO… 1 day ago
- Watch us play Unravel, an adorable puzzle platformer from Electronic Arts February 5, 2016
- LinkedIn sheds $11 billion on stock’s worst day since debut February 5, 2016
- Big in Tehran: Inside Iran’s $140M console and PC market February 5, 2016
- Ubisoft hypes up Trackmania Turbo’s VR capabilities with 360-degree video app February 5, 2016
- Hacker hijacks Dridex botnet to serve free antivirus February 5, 2016
- BMW-backed valet startup, Zirx, kills off consumer business to focus on enterprise February 5, 2016
- Twitter says it’s ‘suspended over 125,000 accounts’ related to terrorism February 5, 2016
- BlackBerry confirms layoffs, says 200 affected (updated) February 5, 2016
- H1Z1 zombie game splits into two strains — and spreads to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One February 5, 2016
- Scoring high-value customers: You don’t win the Super Bowl with everyone on offense February 5, 2016
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Because manholes are round
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Why small businesses are snapping up the daily deal
- Watching American football in Dublin
- Technology's effects on our language
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
Monthly Archives: June 2011
In early May, I bought a Groupon for Robb’s Really Good Food. It’s a food cart in Portland, Ore. Before I got a chance to use it, Robb sold his food cart. (He plans to open a new one.) I … Continue reading
I know there has been a lot of negativity on this blog lately in connection with my coverage of the daily deals space. New readers may be wondering, what the hell? Does this guy like anything? Well, in fact I … Continue reading
That’s right, the CEO of Loopt will personally clean your house for $5. But only if 1,000 people sign up. Only, I haven’t told him about the deal yet. He may not agree, but I’m using his name anyway. Hell, … Continue reading
I admit it. I am in the bag for Virgin America. I have been since before they took off. (Literally.) I once live tweeted a flight to San Diego using their in-flight WiFi. Savvy travelers will recognize that the picture … Continue reading
Here is a sample merchant agreement that I received. This one is from January 2011. Merchant Agreement Date of Agreement: 1/XX/2011 Merchant Name(herein referred to as “Merchant”): This “Merchant Agreement” or “Agreement”, effective as of the above date (“Effective Date”), … Continue reading