I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- A reminder that your Instagram photos aren’t really yours: Someone else can sell them for $90,000 washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-bl… 1 day ago
- It's amazing how quickly @Bankoff took a sports blogging network and turned it into a media powerhouse. 1 day ago
- Congratulations to @karaswisher and @Bankoff. A great combination. 1 day ago
- Landlord just hit me with a 22% rent increase. #lifeinSF #talkrent 2 days ago
- Simple and very useful @Target watch feature. http://t.co/VhbiqeYkYL 5 days ago
- AppLift acquires demand-side mobile ad buying platform Bidstalk May 28, 2015
- Google says its speech recognition technology now has only an 8% word error rate May 28, 2015
- EA exec Peter Moore blasts fans who spread hate on women soccer players in FIFA 16 May 28, 2015
- Google announces Now on Tap: a Google Now feature that answers your questions anywhere in Android M May 28, 2015
- Google gives developers new AdWords, Analytics, and AdMob tools to monetize their apps with ads May 28, 2015
- Google announces Brillo OS and Weave protocol for the Internet of Things May 28, 2015
- Lyve announces Lyve Cam, a small camera for automatically sharing photos and video May 28, 2015
- Google unveils Android Pay, its Apple Pay competitor May 28, 2015
- Pinterest improves Related Pins with deep learning, plans product recommendations using object recognition May 28, 2015
- Frenemies Salesforce and HubSpot make nice for customers and extend partnership 5 years May 28, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Because manholes are round
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Watson vs. Google
Monthly Archives: June 2009
Seen over the weekend: ads for bing and Yahoo! on Google search results for “Michael Jackson”. The bing ad led to bing’s xRank page for Michael Jackson. The Yahoo! ad bizarrely led to a Yahoo! shopping results page for Michael … Continue reading
Coming back from Berlin yesterday, I decided to take public transit. I took BART from SFO to Embarcadero station, where I had to switch to Muni to get home. The fare was $1.25 (after a paper BART to Muni transfer … Continue reading
I’ve written before about how the Associated Press blew it in the early days of the Web by choosing to not play in the online news space. More than a decade later, AP still has tremendous assets that it can … Continue reading