I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @mblumenthal: @rakeshlobster Great question. Problem is Nokia sucks as much as TeleAtlas fixing stuff. Some signs of improve, not enough… 5 days ago
- Who is Nokia Here most valuable to? Apple, Uber, Facebook... ? @mblumenthal 5 days ago
- A Call for New Type of Mapping Platform ... Fun day dreaming. Google is best positioned to provide this. theinformation.com/A-Call-for-New… 5 days ago
- RT @MaxCRoser: What the History of Camera Sales Looks Like with Smartphones Included (Source: bit.ly/1EqUYC7) http://t.co/Esaxx1D7… 6 days ago
- RT @RakeshAgrawal: What Uber is killing (it's not the taxi industry) detroitnews.com/story/opinion/… via @reillybrennan http://t.co/XG5BddZ8nU 6 days ago
- Snapchat signs deal for a second season of ‘Literally Can’t Even’ April 19, 2015
- Elon Musk: SpaceX’s Falcon 9 landing failed due to ‘slower than expected throttle valve response’ April 19, 2015
- The Backed Pack: A VPN secure box, a comfortable keyboard, & a clever waking solution April 18, 2015
- 5 things to do if you let a customer down April 18, 2015
- The Pirate Bay opens up registration to new users, months after coming back online April 18, 2015
- Startups, prioritize growth (but not at the expense of profitability) April 18, 2015
- WhatsApp now has 800M monthly active users April 18, 2015
- Wallet Wars: The fight to dominate payments is just beginning April 18, 2015
- We’re not talking about what VR is doing to our eyes … and our brains April 18, 2015
- We just got a closer look at Microsoft Office 2016, and here are the features we like April 18, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- How do you pay for a ride on SF Muni with a $20 and a $1?
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- More bad news for newspapers: hotels going green
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don't want it? Get your money back
Monthly Archives: September 2008
From the messages-you-wish-you could-unsend department: this cheerful email arrived in my mailbox shortly after I read about WaMu’s seizure by federal regulators. WaMu CEO Alan Fishman is getting an extended holiday. Note the “amazing rate” of 4 percent. WaMu has … Continue reading
At a time when we’re facing the first coup d’état in American history with King Henry effectively overthrowing our elected leaders, it’s refreshing to see that our creativity is still strong. A friend forwarded a link to BuyMyShitPile.com, a site … Continue reading
If I could award an Emmy for outstanding performance in television, I’d have a clear winner: Hulu. The video site from NBC and Fox is my leading choice for product of the year. Hulu allows users to stream television shows … Continue reading
The App Store is one of the key strengths of the iPhone. You can easily find, purchase and install applications that increase the utility of the iPhone. Steve Jobs claims that more than 100 million downloads have occurred in the … Continue reading
Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans puts Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page at #13 and #14 with a net worth of $15.9 billion for Brin and $15.8 billion for Page. That’s a bit less than the $20 billion … Continue reading
I’ve had the 3G iPhone for a couple of months now. During that time I’ve had the same complaints that most others have had: virtually nonexistent 3G coverage, anemic battery life and frequent crashes. But there are also details of … Continue reading
If you’re around town, ping me.