I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- The regulatory times are a changin'. As SV disrupts more, regulators are getting more interested sooner. mashable.com/2016/02/10/sil… 8 hours ago
- Chase Re-Ups Amazon: the High Water Mark for Co-Brand Credit Card Deals? By @garyleff viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/02/12/450… 9 hours ago
- RT @trengriffin: People who try to explain market price changes by naming a single factor crack me up. mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKC… Markets are … 21 hours ago
- RT @Techmeme: PayPal launches Commerce, a toolkit for integrating buy buttons into apps, in closed beta techcrunch.com/2016/02/11/pay… https://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @rdoddala: Facebook wants what twitter's got and twitter wants what facebook's got! https://t.co/hPerpfpgSw 1 day ago
- DevOps and the Enterprise: Podcast with Automic CTO John Purrier February 13, 2016
- Apple is replacing MacBook charging cables due to a ‘design issue’ February 13, 2016
- Personalize or die: the secret to increasing email open rates, clicks — and revenue (webinar) February 12, 2016
- I tried binge-watching YouTube Red’s first 3 original movies — and failed February 12, 2016
- Telegram just made it easier to send and receive secure voice messages February 12, 2016
- Pikachu zaps Schwarzenegger: Pokémon’s Super Bowl ad beat Mobile Strike’s February 12, 2016
- Slack now has 2.3 million daily active users, 675,000 paid seats, and 280 apps in its directory February 12, 2016
- Facebook India head steps down in wake of ‘Free Basics’ debacle February 12, 2016
- This app turns your Android phone into an earthquake sensor February 12, 2016
- Inside Amazon’s decision to make a video game engine February 12, 2016
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Because manholes are round
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Technology's effects on our language
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
Monthly Archives: January 2012
In December, Facebook had more than 100 million more unique users than Google did when it went public in August 2004. In December 2011, Facebook had 162.5 million unique users in the United States. In August 2004, Google had 61.9 … Continue reading
Chris Dixon ignited a firestorm on his blog when he said it was Twitter’s fault that Google doesn’t index tweets. It’s the fault of both parties, really. Neither has the moral high ground. Twitter does not block Google from crawling … Continue reading
As you may have seen in my VentureBeat post, I’m not a fan of vanity metrics. They are dishonest to consumers and the media. And they’re bad for startups because they shift focus to the next milestone to announce and … Continue reading
This chart illustrates the market capitalization of 3 top tech companies and 4 top media companies. (In billions.) If you add up the 4 media companies, they are roughly half the valuation of Apple. Even the largest of these media … Continue reading