I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Steep Discounts a Boon for Customers, but a Gamble for Start-Ups nytimes.com/2015/07/30/tec… Great stuff from @fmanjoo /via @hunterwalk 1 hour ago
- Yelp shares plunge 28% after earnings loss cnbc.com/2015/07/28/yel… 1 hour ago
- Playing Taboo with my GF: "It's an internet company that is failing..." She got it in one guess. 2 hours ago
- LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter engadget.com/2015/07/29/lg-… 2 hours ago
- Cool new trick from Google local. This is what you can do when you have meaningful data - unlike Yelp techcrunch.com/2015/07/28/goo… via @hunterwalk 19 hours ago
- Flipboard starts offering its first paywall integration with The New Yorker July 29, 2015
- Tencent focuses on ‘pan entertainment’ strategy for the Internet to go from giant to juggernaut July 29, 2015
- Pirates are successfully upgrading to Windows 10 for free July 29, 2015
- Twitter’s new Windows 10 app shows tweets directly in the Start menu July 29, 2015
- A decent telemarketer could outperform most marketing techs, who don’t know how to use their tools July 29, 2015
- Amazon’s AWS Device Farm will let developers test iOS apps from August 4 July 29, 2015
- Yahoo unveils silent video chat app Livetext, launching in U.S., U.K., Canada, Germany, and France tomorrow July 29, 2015
- Shark Tank @ IBM: How Big Blue is reinventing its marketing cloud July 29, 2015
- 3 native advertising myths — and why mobile app publishers should ignore them July 29, 2015
- Nokia’s giving indie filmmakers $42K and an Ozo camera to create its first VR movie July 29, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Think Groupon is a technology company? Think again.
Monthly Archives: January 2012
In December, Facebook had more than 100 million more unique users than Google did when it went public in August 2004. In December 2011, Facebook had 162.5 million unique users in the United States. In August 2004, Google had 61.9 … Continue reading
Chris Dixon ignited a firestorm on his blog when he said it was Twitter’s fault that Google doesn’t index tweets. It’s the fault of both parties, really. Neither has the moral high ground. Twitter does not block Google from crawling … Continue reading
As you may have seen in my VentureBeat post, I’m not a fan of vanity metrics. They are dishonest to consumers and the media. And they’re bad for startups because they shift focus to the next milestone to announce and … Continue reading
This chart illustrates the market capitalization of 3 top tech companies and 4 top media companies. (In billions.) If you add up the 4 media companies, they are roughly half the valuation of Apple. Even the largest of these media … Continue reading