I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Simple and very useful @Target watch feature. http://t.co/VhbiqeYkYL 1 day ago
- Watching people use that @McDonalds touch screen ordering... Clearly the ux and process flow needs a lot of work. 3 days ago
- First time I've seen this touch screen ordering and payment kiosk at McDonald's. http://t.co/IJTw6FZIOb 3 days ago
- Of 200 apps installed on my phone, 49 of them have Watch apps. Pretty incredible for a brand new platform. 4 days ago
- Love that uber has finally added terminals and doors. Huge improvement for airport rides. http://t.co/Jhfh023FtF 4 days ago
- Elon Musk didn’t like his kids’ school, so he started his own May 24, 2015
- Email marketing technology is ridiculously complicated May 24, 2015
- Silicon Valley’s meritocracy: Maybe it’s time to give something back May 23, 2015
- With the future of government spying hanging in the balance, the Senate goes on vacation May 23, 2015
- 12 reasons you should never launch a startup in Boston May 23, 2015
- It’s time for government to get involved in IoT May 23, 2015
- Personalization study findings: Email is top channel; social, web, ads next; data needs vary May 23, 2015
- Visa Checkout marketing straddles real and digital May 23, 2015
- HiAlgo empowers PC players to run games better with Boost May 23, 2015
- A Chinese secret: why mobile publishers are spending big bucks on their own in-app purchases May 23, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Packaged pani puri as progress
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Technology's effects on our language
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
Monthly Archives: March 2007
Google revamped its mobile search offering, simplifying the search process. Before, you had to enter a search term and then select which index they wanted to search: Web, mobile, local or images. Now you can type in a search term … Continue reading
Google is offering flight status information via SMS. Just send your flight number (e.g. UA 484) to GOOGLE (466453) and you get a return message with flight departure and arrival times, gate information and the airline’s phone number. (With most … Continue reading
A terrific presentation from Andrew Tomkins of Yahoo! Research at ICWSM today. He mentioned Yahoo’s Taglines – another way of visualizing flickr data. Flickr photos and the top tags for each day float by. (It gets better if you start … Continue reading
Today’s WSJ has a story that vividly illustrates the tradeoffs that technology can offer between privacy and security (subscription required). The story explores how the increased data that cars collect can be used: That data could be crucial to guiding … Continue reading
I’m in Vail over the weekend and then Boulder for the International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media. If you’re around, message me.