I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- What do people think of Facebook Moments? Seems vaguely like Color, without the over-limiting, illiquid real-time restriction. 17 hours ago
- Steep Discounts a Boon for Customers, but a Gamble for Start-Ups nytimes.com/2015/07/30/tec… Great stuff from @fmanjoo /via @hunterwalk 1 day ago
- Yelp shares plunge 28% after earnings loss cnbc.com/2015/07/28/yel… 1 day ago
- Playing Taboo with my GF: "It's an internet company that is failing..." She got it in one guess. 1 day ago
- LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter engadget.com/2015/07/29/lg-… 1 day ago
- Pinterest reveals 2016 diversity goals and announces a new project called Inclusion Labs July 30, 2015
- Google rejects French global right-to-be-forgotten order, says it’d have ‘chilling effects on the Web’ July 30, 2015
- Epic’s graphics guru Tim Sweeney predicts augmented reality will eliminate monitors and TVs July 30, 2015
- Paralo launches Kickstarter campaign for another inexpensive VR headset July 30, 2015
- Benioff-backed Brandcast launches web publishing cloud for marketers July 30, 2015
- Google Play now lets Android app developers offer open betas, closed betas using only email addresses July 30, 2015
- With over 10,000 businesses signed up, Android for Work expands to carriers for the first time July 30, 2015
- Getting to know your customer… the dramatic impact of customer identity and personalization July 30, 2015
- Gunderson Dettmer Announces Addition of New Partners in San Diego and Los Angeles: Jeff Thacker and Ross Burningham July 30, 2015
- Glow launches Ruby, an iOS app to help women better manage their health and sex lives July 30, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- My genius list
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
Monthly Archives: March 2007
Google revamped its mobile search offering, simplifying the search process. Before, you had to enter a search term and then select which index they wanted to search: Web, mobile, local or images. Now you can type in a search term … Continue reading
Google is offering flight status information via SMS. Just send your flight number (e.g. UA 484) to GOOGLE (466453) and you get a return message with flight departure and arrival times, gate information and the airline’s phone number. (With most … Continue reading
A terrific presentation from Andrew Tomkins of Yahoo! Research at ICWSM today. He mentioned Yahoo’s Taglines – another way of visualizing flickr data. Flickr photos and the top tags for each day float by. (It gets better if you start … Continue reading
Today’s WSJ has a story that vividly illustrates the tradeoffs that technology can offer between privacy and security (subscription required). The story explores how the increased data that cars collect can be used: That data could be crucial to guiding … Continue reading
I’m in Vail over the weekend and then Boulder for the International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media. If you’re around, message me.