I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- A reminder that your Instagram photos aren’t really yours: Someone else can sell them for $90,000 washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-bl… 9 hours ago
- It's amazing how quickly @Bankoff took a sports blogging network and turned it into a media powerhouse. 1 day ago
- Congratulations to @karaswisher and @Bankoff. A great combination. 1 day ago
- Landlord just hit me with a 22% rent increase. #lifeinSF #talkrent 1 day ago
- Simple and very useful @Target watch feature. http://t.co/VhbiqeYkYL 5 days ago
- Oculus chief: You’ll be able to get the Rift, with a PC, for under $1,500 May 27, 2015
- Microsoft starts cleaning up the Windows Store by removing apps that don’t comply with latest guidelines May 27, 2015
- Pebble Time begins shipping to Kickstarter backers — everyone else can preorder it June 22 May 27, 2015
- Jawbone sues Fitbit for stealing its talent and trade secrets May 27, 2015
- Athenahealth adds 3 startups to its accelerator program: Hale Health, Lifesquare, and PatientPop May 27, 2015
- Smart air quality monitor Awair connects with Nest, Misfit, IFTTT, and more May 27, 2015
- Chrome 43 for Android arrives with touch to search, faster Google Wallet checkout, and no more Android 4.0 support May 27, 2015
- Twitter open-sources Kit and Digits developer tools for Android May 27, 2015
- How Reddit’s fixed salary policy is diversifying its workforce May 27, 2015
- CBS will probably be part of Apple TV’s ‘skinny bundle’ May 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Because manholes are round
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Watson vs. Google
Monthly Archives: June 2012
I have a new bet with Felix Salmon of Reuters tied to an exit for Square. I win the bet if: Square is acquired on or before December 31, 2012 by anyone other than PayPal. Felix wins the bet if: … Continue reading
This post is an excerpt from a forthcoming book on Groupon. It’s a question I’m asked quite often by friends, family, journalists and once by a Groupon employee. Apparently, it’s plausible that I would. When I posted on April Fool’s … Continue reading
Groupon shares dropped to a new all-time low today as its lockup ended, releasing a torrent of new shares on to the market. Thirty minutes into the trading session, Groupon had already traded 75% of its average daily trading volume. … Continue reading