I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @mblumenthal: @rakeshlobster Great question. Problem is Nokia sucks as much as TeleAtlas fixing stuff. Some signs of improve, not enough… 6 days ago
- Who is Nokia Here most valuable to? Apple, Uber, Facebook... ? @mblumenthal 6 days ago
- A Call for New Type of Mapping Platform ... Fun day dreaming. Google is best positioned to provide this. theinformation.com/A-Call-for-New… 6 days ago
- RT @MaxCRoser: What the History of Camera Sales Looks Like with Smartphones Included (Source: bit.ly/1EqUYC7) http://t.co/Esaxx1D7… 1 week ago
- RT @RakeshAgrawal: What Uber is killing (it's not the taxi industry) detroitnews.com/story/opinion/… via @reillybrennan http://t.co/XG5BddZ8nU 1 week ago
- How to tell if your tech’s worth an investment: 6 tips from a VC CTO April 19, 2015
- Norway announces nationwide FM radio shut-off April 19, 2015
- How contextual apps can finally make smart devices smart April 19, 2015
- New FiOS bundles draw criticism from ESPN April 19, 2015
- Why tech accelerators may soon be as irrelevant as an MBA April 19, 2015
- Snapchat signs deal for a second season of ‘Literally Can’t Even’ April 19, 2015
- Elon Musk: SpaceX’s Falcon 9 landing failed due to ‘slower than expected throttle valve response’ April 19, 2015
- The Backed Pack: A VPN secure box, a comfortable keyboard, & a clever waking solution April 18, 2015
- 5 things to do if you let a customer down April 18, 2015
- The Pirate Bay opens up registration to new users, months after coming back online April 18, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Custom pictures come to credit cards
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
Monthly Archives: May 2012
Last summer, Virgin America ran an incredible deal for air travel. I bought too many and need to get rid of some of them. These are great vouchers that are good for any city in Virgin’s route map. They are … Continue reading
Some of you undoubtedly noticed that I didn’t write up my views on Groupon’s earnings. It’s not because Groupon suddenly proved that I’ve been wrong for the past year. To the contrary, Groupon’s earnings report reinforced everything I believe about … Continue reading
I have a bet with Alex Lawrence that is a derivative of my bet with Paul Kedrosky. If I win my bet with Kedrosky on 5/15, I win the bet with Lawrence. This means that at the end of trading on … Continue reading
Here are some more PR tips for startups: Be out there. Reporters often get story ideas or thoughts for sources by doing Google searches or looking through blogs. If you have a strong presence elsewhere, it increased the odds that … Continue reading
I was in New Orleans for Jazz Fest this week, but managed to get more writing in than I expected. For the first time this week, we saw Groupon drop below 50% of its initial IPO price of $20, closing … Continue reading