I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Bye 1 week ago
- RT @TradeEconomista: Worthy reminder: Steve Jobs biological father was also a #SyrianRefugee @APPLEOFFIClAL @DisneyPixar https://t.co/2… 1 week ago
- The Marriott deal likely means another blow for @AmericanExpress. And my favorite card -- the @StarwoodBuzz AmEx will be no more. :( 1 week ago
- Marriott Buying Starwood in Deal Valued at $12.2 Billion bloomberg.com/news/articles/… FUCK. 1 week ago
- RT @Eater: In-N-Out Burger sues DoorDash for delivering burgers without its permission eater.com/2015/11/11/971… 2 weeks ago
- What is it with electric cars and Star Wars Stormtroopers anyway? November 29, 2015
- How to protect your startup from copycats November 29, 2015
- PlayStation Network is down and Sony is working to fix it (update) November 29, 2015
- Amazon app will reportedly show up on Apple TV in a few weeks November 29, 2015
- What’s wrong with London’s tech industry? November 28, 2015
- Receipts data: 7-inch Amazon Fire tablet, not iPad, won Black Friday November 28, 2015
- Adobe: Thanksgiving and Black Friday online sales up 18%, iOS numbers almost triple Android’s November 28, 2015
- 5 things US techies need to know about Japan’s social media ecosystem November 28, 2015
- Anonymous collective hackers bring down Iceland sites in whaling protest November 28, 2015
- Product leaders: You need to stop saying no November 28, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- There are only two deal companies that matter: Facebook and Google
- What's wrong with journalism today, part 1
- My genius list
- A wow experience from United Airlines. Wow.
Monthly Archives: May 2012
Last summer, Virgin America ran an incredible deal for air travel. I bought too many and need to get rid of some of them. These are great vouchers that are good for any city in Virgin’s route map. They are … Continue reading
Some of you undoubtedly noticed that I didn’t write up my views on Groupon’s earnings. It’s not because Groupon suddenly proved that I’ve been wrong for the past year. To the contrary, Groupon’s earnings report reinforced everything I believe about … Continue reading
I have a bet with Alex Lawrence that is a derivative of my bet with Paul Kedrosky. If I win my bet with Kedrosky on 5/15, I win the bet with Lawrence. This means that at the end of trading on … Continue reading
Here are some more PR tips for startups: Be out there. Reporters often get story ideas or thoughts for sources by doing Google searches or looking through blogs. If you have a strong presence elsewhere, it increased the odds that … Continue reading
I was in New Orleans for Jazz Fest this week, but managed to get more writing in than I expected. For the first time this week, we saw Groupon drop below 50% of its initial IPO price of $20, closing … Continue reading