I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Airbnb Adds Liability Coverage for Hosts... About f*ing time. recode.net/2014/11/20/air… Still not enough for HNWI. 1 hour ago
- Just as important, not the people who aren't on the list. There might be some omissions, but a lot aren't on it for a reason. 2 hours ago
- Calling out shoddy tech journalism sounds like a brilliant idea. Want to avoid in the first place? Follow these ppl: twitter.com/rakeshlobster/… 2 hours ago
- #ux #geotargeting just because i'm now in japan doesn't mean i can read japanese. cookies should trump IP address for l12n. 22 hours ago
- I find that the M word is too often abused. many cases where it is appropriate but also too much crying wolf to suppress discussion. 1 day ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- An apology, an explanation and a bunch of thank yous
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- Batkid, San Francisco and my brother’s experience with the Make-A-Wish foundation
- Why I’m joining OLO’s advisory board
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- How not to design an ATM
- Because manholes are round
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- How do you pay for a ride on SF Muni with a $20 and a $1?
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
Monthly Archives: August 2008
While watching the Olympics, I was struck by a gorgeous animated ad. A lobster conducts an orchestra of other sea creatures playing Gershwin. As soon as I recognized Rhapsody in Blue, I knew it had to be a United Airlines … Continue reading
I’ve long advocated that news organizations geotag the news. But I’ve been skeptical of automated systems for doing this. Google News recently provided a terrific example of what can happen when you use entity extraction for such a task: In … Continue reading
The New York Times ran a great profile of fake news purveyor Jon Stewart this weekend. According to a 2007 Pew poll, Stewart was tied with real newsmen Brian Williams, Tom Brokaw, Andersen Cooper and Dan Rather for #4 as … Continue reading