I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- A reminder that your Instagram photos aren’t really yours: Someone else can sell them for $90,000 washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-bl… 15 hours ago
- It's amazing how quickly @Bankoff took a sports blogging network and turned it into a media powerhouse. 1 day ago
- Congratulations to @karaswisher and @Bankoff. A great combination. 1 day ago
- Landlord just hit me with a 22% rent increase. #lifeinSF #talkrent 1 day ago
- Simple and very useful @Target watch feature. http://t.co/VhbiqeYkYL 5 days ago
- Augmented-reality company Metaio has mysteriously stopped selling its services May 28, 2015
- Google may be set to leapfrog Apple in mobile payments with Android Pay May 28, 2015
- An electric-car future is coming, just more slowly than predicted May 28, 2015
- B2C messaging on WhatsApp: A mobile marketer’s dream May 28, 2015
- GoPro announces a $3,000 spherical camera rig for capturing VR video May 28, 2015
- Twitch won’t let users stream AO-rated games May 28, 2015
- Email marketing providers: Evolve or die May 27, 2015
- Gigaom resurrected: 6 media companies that came back from the dead May 27, 2015
- Oculus chief: You’ll be able to get the Rift, with a PC, for under $1,500 May 27, 2015
- Microsoft starts cleaning up the Windows Store by removing apps that don’t comply with latest guidelines May 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Because manholes are round
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
Monthly Archives: March 2008
I’ve been using my Garmin eTrex Vista Cx GPS for six months. I use it when hiking and to geotag pictures. I noticed that I haven’t been getting the advertised accuracy level; the accuracy has ranged from 25 to 150 … Continue reading
I was out at AT&T Park yesterday for an exhibition game against the Oakland A’s and was reminded why this is one of my favorite parks in baseball. Although I’ve been to the park many times before, in its various … Continue reading
The Dash portable navigation device I wrote about earlier is now shipping. Dash has dropped the price $200 from the initial pre-order pricing. It’s the first true two-way connected PND on the market, using cellular data for search, traffic and … Continue reading
Tellmes know how to throw a great party. The annual St. Patrick’s Day party was a jolly good time. Colleagues from Microsoft’s Silicon Valley campus joined us in the courtyard for limerick and mashed potato sculpting contests. The winning sculpture? … Continue reading
Some interesting reads from the past couple of weeks: Hulu: Great Product, Still Screwed (Silicon Alley Insider) – The much-hyped video site from NBC and News Corp. is now out of beta. Hulu offers free access to full episodes from … Continue reading
I stopped growing early. After what I can only assume was a massive early growth spurt, I capped out at my current 5’3″. The picture above was taken before I entered middle school; using mom as a benchmark, I must … Continue reading
Some interesting items from the last few weeks: Jon Stewart’s pre-Oscar interview on Larry King Live (CNN) – This interview is a perfect example of why people like me are watching The Daily Show for news. Stewart is sharper and … Continue reading