I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Great advice from @joshelman on product hunt live producthunt.com/live/josh-elman 13 hours ago
- RT @ReutersTech: Instagram adds features to keep up with young, messaging users reut.rs/1PJvpP8 13 hours ago
- Restaurant recommendations by Uber? Using mass data to make recommendations viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/09/01/hil… 13 hours ago
- “DoorDash Inks First Non-Restaurant Delivery Deal With 7-Eleven (Sans Slurpees)” forbes.com/sites/emilyinv… 14 hours ago
- How long has Google been letting you scroll through recent tweets in search results? 15 hours ago
- An open letter to the enterprise file sync and share market September 2, 2015
- Toshiba unveils 12.5-inch 4K convertible laptop September 2, 2015
- Xiaomi reportedly working on $470 laptop with Samsung, others due early 2016 September 2, 2015
- Facebook will spend $200M to expand its data center facility in Oregon again September 2, 2015
- Intel launches its Skylake processor to jumpstart PC sales September 2, 2015
- How to run a company with offices 10,000 miles apart September 2, 2015
- MoPub now supports video ads that reward you for watching September 2, 2015
- Cortana can now translate words, phrases, and sentences in almost 40 languages September 1, 2015
- PlayStation 4 gets YouTube livestreaming, extra cloud storage, and more in system update 3.0 September 1, 2015
- VMware launches standalone Identity Manager Advanced Edition, separate from AirWatch September 1, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Donald Trump is right
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Look at the logo Google News puts next to Groupon
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Google Offers merchant agreement
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
- Rakesh's quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Shop Talk: A conversation with a Groupon merchant
Monthly Archives: January 2008
The movers came today and loaded up all my stuff for the move West. I laughed out loud when I looked at the inventory and saw “paper eater” as the description for my shredder. And I think she packed the … Continue reading
That question seems to be on a lot of people’s minds these days, thanks to the newly announced $150 billion stimulus package. “I would like my check and I think everybody else feels the same way,” said David Wyss Chief … Continue reading
You turn the key and the engine goes vroom. That’s how you start a car. In the more than 10 years since I started driving, there have been a lot of change in cars. I’ve seen the addition of safety … Continue reading
Busy with CES and the new job this week, so I didn’t get to do a whole lot of reading. These caught my eye: CES Video: Gadget of the day (Los Angeles Times) – Taser has introduced a stun gun … Continue reading
A few years ago at the TV Critics Association press tour my friend Neal asked NBC head Jeff Zucker why there weren’t any South Asians on ER. Anyone who has been to a hospital knows that they’re full of South … Continue reading
“The Spirit of Pigcinnati,” Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, Kentucky. Creative Commons image by flickr user richmanwisco. USA Today reports that the government is wasting $110 million each year flying empty planes, another great example of Congressional pork. The “Essential” Air … Continue reading
This week’s interesting reads: Some thoughts on pricing (Redeye VC) – First Round Capital’s Josh Kopelman examines pricing strategies. He starts with pricing of soda in a hotel and found a range of $1 to $4.50. The overall range is … Continue reading