I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- What do people think of Facebook Moments? Seems vaguely like Color, without the over-limiting, illiquid real-time restriction. 11 hours ago
- Steep Discounts a Boon for Customers, but a Gamble for Start-Ups nytimes.com/2015/07/30/tec… Great stuff from @fmanjoo /via @hunterwalk 19 hours ago
- Yelp shares plunge 28% after earnings loss cnbc.com/2015/07/28/yel… 19 hours ago
- Playing Taboo with my GF: "It's an internet company that is failing..." She got it in one guess. 20 hours ago
- LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter engadget.com/2015/07/29/lg-… 21 hours ago
- GoButler raises $8M to get you anything you want by sending a text July 30, 2015
- Salesforce helps AutoPilot land $7M to ‘grow the pie’ of marketing automation July 30, 2015
- Customer-centricity: How the digital wars will be won July 30, 2015
- Amazon nabs former Top Gear presenters for a new car show exclusive to Amazon Prime July 30, 2015
- SoftBank’s emotionally intelligent ‘Pepper’ robot launches for enterprises on October 1 July 30, 2015
- U.S. likely to scale back planned limits on intrusion-software exports July 30, 2015
- Samsung plans to ‘adjust’ Galaxy S6 and S6 edge pricing in response to poor quarterly earnings July 30, 2015
- Samsung profits drop for fifth straight quarter, company blames tough mobile business environment July 30, 2015
- Windows 10 tips for gamers: How to save your bandwidth, do a clean install, and more July 30, 2015
- White House calls for upgrade to law protecting consumer cloud data from law enforcement July 30, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
- If you're going to own individual stocks, own these three
Monthly Archives: January 2008
The movers came today and loaded up all my stuff for the move West. I laughed out loud when I looked at the inventory and saw “paper eater” as the description for my shredder. And I think she packed the … Continue reading
That question seems to be on a lot of people’s minds these days, thanks to the newly announced $150 billion stimulus package. “I would like my check and I think everybody else feels the same way,” said David Wyss Chief … Continue reading
You turn the key and the engine goes vroom. That’s how you start a car. In the more than 10 years since I started driving, there have been a lot of change in cars. I’ve seen the addition of safety … Continue reading
Busy with CES and the new job this week, so I didn’t get to do a whole lot of reading. These caught my eye: CES Video: Gadget of the day (Los Angeles Times) – Taser has introduced a stun gun … Continue reading
A few years ago at the TV Critics Association press tour my friend Neal asked NBC head Jeff Zucker why there weren’t any South Asians on ER. Anyone who has been to a hospital knows that they’re full of South … Continue reading
“The Spirit of Pigcinnati,” Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, Kentucky. Creative Commons image by flickr user richmanwisco. USA Today reports that the government is wasting $110 million each year flying empty planes, another great example of Congressional pork. The “Essential” Air … Continue reading
This week’s interesting reads: Some thoughts on pricing (Redeye VC) – First Round Capital’s Josh Kopelman examines pricing strategies. He starts with pricing of soda in a hotel and found a range of $1 to $4.50. The overall range is … Continue reading