I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Great advice from @joshelman on product hunt live producthunt.com/live/josh-elman 1 day ago
- RT @ReutersTech: Instagram adds features to keep up with young, messaging users reut.rs/1PJvpP8 1 day ago
- Restaurant recommendations by Uber? Using mass data to make recommendations viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/09/01/hil… 1 day ago
- “DoorDash Inks First Non-Restaurant Delivery Deal With 7-Eleven (Sans Slurpees)” forbes.com/sites/emilyinv… 1 day ago
- How long has Google been letting you scroll through recent tweets in search results? 1 day ago
- One of these online video ads will win Virool’s contest and get to defy gravity September 3, 2015
- Samsung launches SmartThings Hub to manage home IoT systems September 3, 2015
- Samsung launches SleepSense, a smart sleep-tracker that connects to your home appliances September 3, 2015
- eBay is 20 years old today September 3, 2015
- ‘You are my inspiration’: China’s Uber rival Didi to Uber CEO Kalanick September 3, 2015
- Street View on Google Maps is now available as its own Android app September 3, 2015
- Samsung has shown it’s serious about Tizen, but is it yet ‘The OS of Everything’? September 3, 2015
- Why ‘open’ doesn’t always win (but usually will) September 3, 2015
- Marketing Clouds and Video: A relationship just beginning to bloom September 2, 2015
- Salesforce acquires application development consulting firm AKTA September 2, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Donald Trump is right
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Why I'm joining Groupon
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
Monthly Archives: December 2006
I like ads. At least some ads. When I’m watching programs that I’ve recorded, I sometimes will rewind just to see an ad. These are usually ads from creative advertisers like Target and Apple. Occasionally, I want to share ads … Continue reading
Imagine a Tivo that could only record one channel, would only record shows that the networks thought you might be interested in, charged you every time you wanted to watch something and then would delete it whenever it wanted. Doesn’t … Continue reading
Comcast is testing the release of movies on settop boxes at the same time they are released on DVD, according to The New York Times. The tests are being conducted in Pittsburgh and Denver. The big winners in such a … Continue reading
News organizations are actively playing the SEO/SEM game. If you do a search for “Iraq War“, “taco bell“, “litvinenko“, you will get both organic results and sponsored links from major news sites. The sites take different approaches to where they … Continue reading
Metro is now offering access to real-time information on trains on its redesigned mobile site (http://content.wmata.com/mobile). This is the same information that’s displayed on station platforms, indicating the time until the next several trains. You can bookmark the pages for … Continue reading
I’m in the process of hiring two Senior Product Managers for AOL Search. The people I hire will be working on two very exciting and truly innovative products that have the potential to significantly improve the way more than 40 … Continue reading