I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @Chris_DL: New version of BBC News Headlines for @Pebble in color, with timeline! New design will also be available on Aplite. http://t.… 2 hours ago
- RT @bryce: when we had a female associate we met a lot of female founders. now that we have an asian associate, we're meeting a lot of asia… 2 hours ago
- RT @BrianNorgard: Twitter corp dev deserves serious credit for the @periscopeco swoop. And they did it well before the hype cycle! Smart. 3 hours ago
- RT @AmerBanker: Gmail Bill Pay a Bigger Threat to Banks than Google Wallet bit.ly/1H0LETX #payments http://t.co/QN5vRaYsTE 3 hours ago
- Ff @ktbenner one of the most knowledgeable finance types in tech media. 3 hours ago
- RadiumOne is in dire financial circumstances, sources say — company denies it March 28, 2015
- Ellen Pao loses Kleiner case, but says if she helped women and minorities in VC, then ‘battle was worth it’ March 28, 2015
- Follow these 7 steps if you’re talking to a possible acquirer March 27, 2015
- What to Think, Ep. 47: The future of cities with swarms of driverless cars March 27, 2015
- Google responds to Wall Street Journal allegations: Microsoft visited the White House more than we did March 27, 2015
- Intel considers $10B-plus acquisition of programmable chip maker Altera, report says March 27, 2015
- Kleiner Perkins wins on all claims in Ellen Pao case (updated) March 27, 2015
- Georgia kills anti-LGBT bill as tech giants protest Indiana law March 27, 2015
- IBM acquires ‘certain assets’ from web crawling startup Blekko March 27, 2015
- This guy invented a machine just for picking up ketchup blobs March 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
Monthly Archives: December 2006
I like ads. At least some ads. When I’m watching programs that I’ve recorded, I sometimes will rewind just to see an ad. These are usually ads from creative advertisers like Target and Apple. Occasionally, I want to share ads … Continue reading
Imagine a Tivo that could only record one channel, would only record shows that the networks thought you might be interested in, charged you every time you wanted to watch something and then would delete it whenever it wanted. Doesn’t … Continue reading
Comcast is testing the release of movies on settop boxes at the same time they are released on DVD, according to The New York Times. The tests are being conducted in Pittsburgh and Denver. The big winners in such a … Continue reading
News organizations are actively playing the SEO/SEM game. If you do a search for “Iraq War“, “taco bell“, “litvinenko“, you will get both organic results and sponsored links from major news sites. The sites take different approaches to where they … Continue reading
Metro is now offering access to real-time information on trains on its redesigned mobile site (http://content.wmata.com/mobile). This is the same information that’s displayed on station platforms, indicating the time until the next several trains. You can bookmark the pages for … Continue reading
I’m in the process of hiring two Senior Product Managers for AOL Search. The people I hire will be working on two very exciting and truly innovative products that have the potential to significantly improve the way more than 40 … Continue reading