- More than 15 years of experience creating and marketing consumer-facing Web and mobile products
- People management experience with up to 15 direct reports and 45 matrixed resources, including product managers, UI, market research, engineering, business development, legal and QA
- Experience working with wireless carriers
- Experience presenting to senior management, conferences and customers
- Experience working internationally and managing teams across North America, Asia and Europe
- Experience with startups (series A) and innovation groups within larger organizations
- Strong knowledge of mobile, location services and social networking
YTL Communications, Malaysia, 2009-2010
Vice president, applications and services (Contract)
Role: Designed an integrated mobile/desktop applications featuring IM, voice, voicemail, SMS, location and social networking. Developed product plans and advised in overall strategy for customer acquisition. Selected and managed development partners. Recruited staff.
- Developed product specifications for desktop communications tool integrating IM, phone and SMS.
- Negotiated product side of multi-million dollar development deal.
Senior product manager
Role: Developed go-to-market and pricing strategy for Microsoft’s local search service for cars. Developed advertising and subscription models for consumer services. Managed and negotiated internal and external distribution channels.
- Delivered first voice portal and voice-activated search integrated into a car with Ford Sync.
- Developed pricing strategy to increase minimum committed revenue from key customer by 20%.
- Launched product to critical acclaim at CES.
- Developed strong internal relationships with other Microsoft units including the Automotive Business Unit (ABU) and MSN Direct to significantly increase salesforce in the auto segment.
- Received Microsoft Gold Star award for excellence.
Director, new products
Role: Led key initiatives including mobile search, local search and social search for AOL’s $550+ million search business. Negotiated with other product teams to increase exposure of AOL Search products throughout AOL properties. Led a team of product managers. Managed geographically dispersed teams including staff in Virginia, Dublin and Bangalore. Created new product concepts leveraging community building, social networks and user-generated content.
- Launched companywide tagging infrastructure, serving 15 different product groups.
- Developed strategy for new mobile product, saving millions of dollars and reducing time-to-market from 12-18 months to 3 months.
- Increased distribution and revenue for AOL Toolbar.
- Launched one of the first mashups of maps, business listings, events and movies for AOL Local.
- Invented new product concepts, with six patents pending related to search and social networking.
uReach Technologies, 1999-2003
Director, product management
Role: Led the product effort for a 35-person telecommunications startup. Balanced sales, marketing, technology and business strategy concerns to create, maintain and sell industry-leading unified communications services for service providers and end users. Called on major accounts. Determined product functionality and guided engineering efforts, with a special emphasis on wireless, VOIP and speech-activated products.
- Launched deployments with major carriers, including Bell Canada, Verizon and Cingular Wireless.
- Grew revenue for uReach’s direct-to-consumer business from zero to $1.5 million annually.
- Launched the first multimodal unified communications service for mobile phones.
Role: Managed electronic commerce and personalization products for washingtonpost.com and newsweek.com sites. Worked with vendors and internal staff to develop new products, from requirements definition to deployment. Negotiated agreements with third-party content providers. Worked with the sales staff and product development teams to determine pricing and strategy.
- Increased user satisfaction with the personal finance sections of washingtonpost.com and newsweek.com by launching personalized portfolio tracking.
- Developed and implemented the strategy for Shopping sections of both sites.
Web systems leader
Role: Led the technology effort for three high-traffic, consumer-focused sites. Managed a team of 15 people who built and maintained the infrastructure for the Star Tribune’s online publishing efforts. Coordinated projects among design, content and technology staffs. Evaluated and purchased hardware and software.
- Launched one of the first online newspapers.
- Launched one of the first online city guides and Yellow Pages.
Northwestern University, 1991-1994
Bachelor of Science. Undergraduate leadership certificate. GPA 3.4.
Kellogg School of Management, 2009
Executive education program focused on market segmentation, pricing, analytics and data-driven marketing.