I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Interesting that @zirx is trying to stem the tide of red ink in the on-demand valet business. 1 day ago
- The @tsa confiscated my pants. http://t.co/LKNH0trZd0 3 days ago
- Potential excuses: @TSA confiscated my pants; shit, i was really sleepy this morning and didn't notice; I'm on TV, this is what we wear. 3 days ago
- FWIW, that's also how I do TV appearances when I'm at a remote camera. 3 days ago
- Dare from GF: Fly to London in business on @virginatlantic class wearing this, she will pay me $500. Who would do it? http://t.co/SLBljCFosq 3 days ago
- The jobless future — and why we need to prepare for it now July 8, 2015
- 5 big questions we’re asking after Facebook’s promise to share video revenue July 8, 2015
- Twitch can finally broadcast any smartphone game — but only on Sony handsets July 7, 2015
- Amazon Web Services adds more fine-grained controls for provisioning cloud infrastructure with Auto Scaling July 7, 2015
- EA appoints WB vet Samantha Ryan as head of EA Mobile July 7, 2015
- This new Android malware looks like a classic Nintendo game July 7, 2015
- Adobe confirms Flash vulnerability found via Hacking Team leak, promises patch tomorrow July 7, 2015
- Look at all the psychedelic art people are creating with Google’s DeepDream AI code July 7, 2015
- Withings Activite smartwatches now auto-detect when you’re swimming July 7, 2015
- Apple Watch sales dive in June; 10% of households will buy a smartwatch this year July 7, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Rakesh's quick guide to investing for the lay person
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Because manholes are round
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
Category Archives: web 2.0
American newspapers are in trouble. So far this year, the Rocky Mountain News and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer have shuttered their presses. Tribune is in bankruptcy. My first employer, the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, is also there. Publishers have threatened to … Continue reading
I read two thought-provoking pieces this week on the decline of newspapers from voices outside the newspaper business and one Really Dumb Idea from a voice on the inside. Author Clay Shirky, Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable: When someone demands … Continue reading
You’ve got a competitor with deep pockets, huge brand recognition and a lot of traffic that is interested in your content. What do you do? Here are two very different approaches: GateHouse Media is suing The New York Times Co., … Continue reading
I’ve long advocated that news organizations geotag the news. But I’ve been skeptical of automated systems for doing this. Google News recently provided a terrific example of what can happen when you use entity extraction for such a task: In … Continue reading