I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Steep Discounts a Boon for Customers, but a Gamble for Start-Ups nytimes.com/2015/07/30/tec… Great stuff from @fmanjoo /via @hunterwalk 5 hours ago
- Yelp shares plunge 28% after earnings loss cnbc.com/2015/07/28/yel… 5 hours ago
- Playing Taboo with my GF: "It's an internet company that is failing..." She got it in one guess. 6 hours ago
- LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter engadget.com/2015/07/29/lg-… 7 hours ago
- Cool new trick from Google local. This is what you can do when you have meaningful data - unlike Yelp techcrunch.com/2015/07/28/goo… via @hunterwalk 23 hours ago
- How to download and install Windows 10 without using Windows Update July 29, 2015
- Facebook revenue jumps 38% to $4.04B in Q2 as daily active users grow 17% July 29, 2015
- Facebook now has 1.49B monthly active users, up 13% from last year July 29, 2015
- Xbox Live is down again as some gamers have difficulty logging on (update) July 29, 2015
- AT&T says it notified consumers that it would throttle ‘unlimited’ data service July 29, 2015
- Occipital captures a new $13M funding round for 3D imaging technology July 29, 2015
- Adobe launches no-code app publishing tool, promises it will not make sausages July 29, 2015
- Developers can now submit Windows 10 apps to the Windows Store July 29, 2015
- Y Combinator-backed Foxpass helps small companies manage employee access to internal systems July 29, 2015
- Flipboard starts offering its first paywall integration with The New Yorker July 29, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
Category Archives: Uncategorized
A friend asked me about investments recently after moving jobs. My recommendation was to invest all her retirement assets into a target date fund and avoid individual stocks. But she wanted to feel like she was playing in the market … Continue reading
A friend asked me to take a look at her IRA with Chase. I couldn’t believe how horrible the products she was sold were. Here is some quick info to help you make better investment decisions. If your IRA is … Continue reading
As someone who lives in SF, I spend a lot of time trying various startups. Here’s a quick summary. Highly recommended Uber Shyp Others I’ve looked at Swapbox Caviar Homejoy Pending wash.io
Following up on my genius people list, here’s a quick list of products I love. Evernote – The popular note taking tool serves as not only my repository of personal notes, but an intranet of sorts for redesign mobile. Evernote … Continue reading
One of my favorite things about what I do is the opportunity to meet some brilliant people. It seems that every week I meet someone who I’d consider a genius. If you ever have the opportunity for a meeting with … Continue reading
As I’m ramping up redesign | mobile, I’ve been looking at how I use Twitter. I’m trying to find the optimal mix of providing interesting, engaging content while also devoting the attention that my company needs. A few thoughts on … Continue reading
This must be a bad week for PR. In the payments industry, Square put out a stupid blog post listing all the reasons why someone might want to worry about the company. That was topped by the pitch below. It should … Continue reading