I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Steep Discounts a Boon for Customers, but a Gamble for Start-Ups nytimes.com/2015/07/30/tec… Great stuff from @fmanjoo /via @hunterwalk 7 hours ago
- Yelp shares plunge 28% after earnings loss cnbc.com/2015/07/28/yel… 7 hours ago
- Playing Taboo with my GF: "It's an internet company that is failing..." She got it in one guess. 8 hours ago
- LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter engadget.com/2015/07/29/lg-… 9 hours ago
- Cool new trick from Google local. This is what you can do when you have meaningful data - unlike Yelp techcrunch.com/2015/07/28/goo… via @hunterwalk 1 day ago
- Catawiki raises $82M to grow its online auction house for collectibles such as dinosaur bones July 29, 2015
- GitHub confirms that it has raised $250M led by Sequoia Capital July 29, 2015
- Volkswagens with CarPlay and Android Auto will begin arriving in showrooms this week July 29, 2015
- Nearly half of Facebook’s users only access the service on mobile July 29, 2015
- Twitter now lets you preview a user’s bio when you hover over their avatar July 29, 2015
- How to download and install Windows 10 without using Windows Update July 29, 2015
- Facebook revenue jumps 38% to $4.04B in Q2 as daily active users grow 17% July 29, 2015
- Facebook now has 1.49B monthly active users, up 13% from last year July 29, 2015
- Xbox Live is down again as some gamers have difficulty logging on (update) July 29, 2015
- AT&T says it notified consumers that it would throttle ‘unlimited’ data service July 29, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
Category Archives: microsoft
Google announced yesterday that it has added more detail on its maps, highlighting businesses and landmarks. They even solved the Albert Einstein Memorial problem that I wrote about last year. Businesses and landmarks are important because they make maps more … Continue reading
Yesterday marked my one year anniversary at Tellme. I spent the day where I started a year earlier: at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Coincidentally, Ford officially announced its next generation of SYNC, which incorporates Tellme services. It’s … Continue reading
Om Malik asks on his blog whether VOIP is dead or alive. It’s an interesting question and the answer is very different depending on how you define VOIP. Many people associate VOIP with cheap voice calls using the Internet. This … Continue reading
A friend asked me today “Does one Bear Stearns bailout equal the entire newspaper industry?” I decided to find out. Although there isn’t a clear answer, I was surprised by how small the newspaper industry is. Here are the market … Continue reading
Google’s Panoramio has launched one of the most exciting advances in online pictures since flickr added geotagging. A new “Look around” feature shows you when pictures are available from other angles. In the screenshot below, you can see the dome … Continue reading