I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- At least my barista was able to explain to customer in front of me how chip cards work. 2 days ago
- Damn chip card people slowing down my Starbucks experience. http://t.co/GYZyZaQycq 2 days ago
- Probability, journalists and weather forecasters vox.com/2015/10/7/9472… 2 days ago
- RT @CFPB: New proposal to ban companies from using #arbitration clauses as a free pass to avoid accountability: go.usa.gov/3u6ZY 2 days ago
- Tips to enhance your GMV yourstory.com/2015/10/enhanc… I see lots of companies ignoring coupon code repeated use. 2 days ago
- How eye-tracking tech could help ICU patients communicate October 10, 2015
- Computer science is now the top major for women at Stanford University October 10, 2015
- Elon Musk clarifies earlier remarks, says he doesn’t hate Apple October 9, 2015
- Windows will add support for the North Korea time zone on October 20 October 9, 2015
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s first big move will reportedly be layoffs October 9, 2015
- Marketing analytics — The secret of segment domination (webinar) October 9, 2015
- Google blocks Kickass Torrents in Chrome and Firefox due to ‘harmful programs’ October 9, 2015
- Funding Daily: Today’s tech funding news, in one place October 9, 2015
- Moto X Pure Edition review: A big phone I can live with October 9, 2015
- Sam Altman talks YC Research, stock options, and coffee at Hacker News AMA October 9, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon resource page
- Why I'm joining Groupon
- Because manholes are round
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
Category Archives: media
In the most recent round of AP getting in a huff about search engines and aggregators stealing traffic that they feel rightly belongs to them, there’s a fundamental problem they’re ignoring: AP chose not be in the online news business. … Continue reading
American newspapers are in trouble. So far this year, the Rocky Mountain News and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer have shuttered their presses. Tribune is in bankruptcy. My first employer, the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, is also there. Publishers have threatened to … Continue reading
This picture should send shivers down the spines of executives at USA Today headquarters in McLean, Va. For at least as long as I’ve been traveling for business (13 years and counting), a USA Today in front of the hotel … Continue reading
I read two thought-provoking pieces this week on the decline of newspapers from voices outside the newspaper business and one Really Dumb Idea from a voice on the inside. Author Clay Shirky, Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable: When someone demands … Continue reading
I recently wrote 10 reasons why hulu is better than a DVR. Here are six advantages that DVRs have over hulu. You get higher quality video. If you have an HD source, chances are the video quality on your DVR … Continue reading