I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @Devindra: @rakeshlobster Jobs did it anonymously bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/24/lau… 5 hours ago
- Apple's Tim Cook will give away all his money ... Jobs was not known for philanthropy. cnbc.com/id/102539600 5 hours ago
- Another item for @AppMeerkat / @periscopeco wish list: let me pin current question I'm answering so new entrants get context. 5 hours ago
- LIVE on #Periscope: Ask me anything periscope.tv/w/VvafTTU4NDM5… 6 hours ago
- Like most live demos, that didn't work. The @WHotels keyless entry still has a fair amount of flakiness in it. 6 hours ago
- Georgia kills anti-LGBT bill as tech giants protest Indiana law March 27, 2015
- IBM acquires web crawling startup Blekko March 27, 2015
- This guy invented a machine just for picking up ketchup blobs March 27, 2015
- Calling all CMOs, calling all CMOs (come to Boston) March 27, 2015
- Slack discloses its user database was hacked, but only after turning on two-factor authentication March 27, 2015
- Product Hunt CEO: Livestreaming apps aren’t just a fad March 27, 2015
- Vine bumps video quality from 480p to 720p HD March 27, 2015
- Cracker’s David Lowery updates his Silicon Valley relationship status: It’s complicated (interview) March 27, 2015
- GamesBeat weekly roundup: Getting to know DeNA, touring Square Enix, and bad EverQuest ideas March 27, 2015
- Funding Daily: Today’s tech funding news, in one place March 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- A simple fix to an Uber-related security issue
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Sam Altman will clean your house for $5
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
March 2015 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: media
In the most recent round of AP getting in a huff about search engines and aggregators stealing traffic that they feel rightly belongs to them, there’s a fundamental problem they’re ignoring: AP chose not be in the online news business. … Continue reading
American newspapers are in trouble. So far this year, the Rocky Mountain News and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer have shuttered their presses. Tribune is in bankruptcy. My first employer, the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, is also there. Publishers have threatened to … Continue reading
This picture should send shivers down the spines of executives at USA Today headquarters in McLean, Va. For at least as long as I’ve been traveling for business (13 years and counting), a USA Today in front of the hotel … Continue reading
I read two thought-provoking pieces this week on the decline of newspapers from voices outside the newspaper business and one Really Dumb Idea from a voice on the inside. Author Clay Shirky, Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable: When someone demands … Continue reading
I recently wrote 10 reasons why hulu is better than a DVR. Here are six advantages that DVRs have over hulu. You get higher quality video. If you have an HD source, chances are the video quality on your DVR … Continue reading