I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- More news of substance being traded for viral videos as @scripps lays off investigative reporters poynter.org/news/mediawire… 3 hours ago
- RT @pkedrosky: When launching a new product, always be clear where the spend is going to come from. What are buyers gonna spend less on? 3 hours ago
- This is what my credit card statement looks like these days. @uber @zipcar @car2go http://t.co/Xl9PDFK29R 3 hours ago
- Absurd argument by @rameshponnuru: Why is the CFPB meddling in the car business? bloombergview.com/articles/2015-… via @BV 3 hours ago
- Really fantastic post by my friend @bryce on misinterpreting success as being good. bryce.vc/post/112055695… 4 hours ago
- NHL streams a hockey game in 360-degree virtual reality February 26, 2015
- Funding Daily: Today’s tech funding news, in one place February 26, 2015
- Here’s what the Internet has to say about net neutrality February 26, 2015
- Shazam’s latest funding round came, in part, from Russia February 26, 2015
- Judge reportedly tries to shut down WhatsApp in Brazil February 26, 2015
- Modern Family’s latest episode is a must-watch for anyone trying to tell stories online February 26, 2015
- Google Play is making more money than Apple’s App Store — in Germany February 26, 2015
- Verizon’s response to the FCC’s net neutrality ruling is hilarious February 26, 2015
- Silent Circle buys out Blackphone and will debut new models next week in Spain February 26, 2015
- Facebook is patenting a tool that could change the way you schedule meetings February 26, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- A simple fix to an Uber-related security issue
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Groupon resource page
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Why I'm joining Groupon
Category Archives: media
In the most recent round of AP getting in a huff about search engines and aggregators stealing traffic that they feel rightly belongs to them, there’s a fundamental problem they’re ignoring: AP chose not be in the online news business. … Continue reading
American newspapers are in trouble. So far this year, the Rocky Mountain News and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer have shuttered their presses. Tribune is in bankruptcy. My first employer, the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, is also there. Publishers have threatened to … Continue reading
This picture should send shivers down the spines of executives at USA Today headquarters in McLean, Va. For at least as long as I’ve been traveling for business (13 years and counting), a USA Today in front of the hotel … Continue reading
I read two thought-provoking pieces this week on the decline of newspapers from voices outside the newspaper business and one Really Dumb Idea from a voice on the inside. Author Clay Shirky, Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable: When someone demands … Continue reading
I recently wrote 10 reasons why hulu is better than a DVR. Here are six advantages that DVRs have over hulu. You get higher quality video. If you have an HD source, chances are the video quality on your DVR … Continue reading