I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- .@uber pool rides to airport should only be paired with other rides to airport, not long detours through south San Francisco. 2 hours ago
- RT @bgurley: Here is why UberPool is so important to Uber's strategy: abovethecrowd.com/2015/01/30/ube… #MyLatestATC 15 hours ago
- Wonder how many women have been hit on in @lyft line and @uber pool. I bet it is >single digit percentage of rides. 15 hours ago
- #ux love how google automatically plots places you have previously searched for on map. Context helpful. http://t.co/0jc4bSSqBo 15 hours ago
- RT @StrictlyVC: Dropcam CEO leaves Nest; founding VP of technology goes to Twitter theverge.com/2015/1/30/7954… 15 hours ago
- WhatsApp’s highly anticipated calling feature shows up for some users January 31, 2015
- The Pirate Bay is back online after almost two months January 31, 2015
- The iPhone may be starting to steal Android’s lower-income customers January 31, 2015
- Want a new tech job in 2015? Here’s what to look for January 31, 2015
- This week on VentureBeat: An Apple Watch, the Super Bowl, Snapchat’s future, & more January 31, 2015
- Without broadband under Title II, Verizon will get off scot-free for ‘supercookies’ January 30, 2015
- New Apple and IBM enterprise app delivers a lot of utility January 30, 2015
- Deep learning startup Clarifai goes beyond image recognition, now offers video analysis January 30, 2015
- Tencent grabs the digital rights to NBA basketball in China January 30, 2015
- Check out these playbooks from successful industry cloud startups January 30, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon resource page
- Because manholes are round
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- My genius list
Category Archives: media
In the most recent round of AP getting in a huff about search engines and aggregators stealing traffic that they feel rightly belongs to them, there’s a fundamental problem they’re ignoring: AP chose not be in the online news business. … Continue reading
American newspapers are in trouble. So far this year, the Rocky Mountain News and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer have shuttered their presses. Tribune is in bankruptcy. My first employer, the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, is also there. Publishers have threatened to … Continue reading
This picture should send shivers down the spines of executives at USA Today headquarters in McLean, Va. For at least as long as I’ve been traveling for business (13 years and counting), a USA Today in front of the hotel … Continue reading
I read two thought-provoking pieces this week on the decline of newspapers from voices outside the newspaper business and one Really Dumb Idea from a voice on the inside. Author Clay Shirky, Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable: When someone demands … Continue reading
I recently wrote 10 reasons why hulu is better than a DVR. Here are six advantages that DVRs have over hulu. You get higher quality video. If you have an HD source, chances are the video quality on your DVR … Continue reading