I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Twitter feature I want most: ability to search bios of all my followees and followers. 17 hours ago
- iPhone 6s users: peeking at an email should mark it read. Yeah/nea? 17 hours ago
- At least my barista was able to explain to customer in front of me how chip cards work. 5 days ago
- Damn chip card people slowing down my Starbucks experience. http://t.co/GYZyZaQycq 5 days ago
- Probability, journalists and weather forecasters vox.com/2015/10/7/9472… 5 days ago
- Optimizely raises a fresh $58M to expand content testing platform amid rapid growth October 13, 2015
- Big data security startup DataVisor takes on $14.5M October 13, 2015
- Google thinks it’s found Asia’s ‘top beauty creators’ on YouTube October 13, 2015
- Salesforce Ventures plans to invest $100M in European enterprise startups October 13, 2015
- China’s second largest ecommerce company just arrived in Silicon Valley October 13, 2015
- Dropbox and Adobe team up to make ‘working with PDFs simple’ October 13, 2015
- France’s Doctolib raises $20.5M from Accel and BlaBlaCar founder to fuel European expansion October 13, 2015
- Snapchat is reportedly shuttering Snap Channel for good, will lay off some employees October 13, 2015
- Twitter is suspending accounts that share sports GIFs or highlights without permission October 13, 2015
- Brianna Wu: Women in tech discussion is ‘about making better games’ October 13, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Because manholes are round
- Facebook platform gets Journal ink
- Netflix throws away the disc in the US
Category Archives: marketing
I had an interesting Twitter exchange this morning with Milk and Honey Spa in Austin, who recently started following me. Have you run a Groupon or daily deal? No. The economics have never worked out and risk to brand has been … Continue reading
Apple retail stores celebrated their 10th anniversary last week. The stores have defied all analyst expectations and have become the highest grossing retailers in the world. The company’s market cap exceeds all of the other players in tech. Its $5,000 … Continue reading
One of the things that people often ask me is how does someone goes about creating innovative product concepts. What are the research methods and tools to use? One of the most powerful tools is just watching what customers do … Continue reading
Groupon announced a shift from its approach of the same deal for all email subscribers in a market to personalized deals in select cities. CEO Andrew Mason says that there is a backlog of 35,000 businesses waiting to be featured … Continue reading
In recent months, we’ve seen daily deal sites like Groupon and Living Social grow like crazy. Groupon is valued at $1.35 billion. That’s more than 4x the valuation of the McClatchy Company, one of the country’s largest newspaper publishers. It … Continue reading