I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- iTunes and AOL end their love affair | Cult of Mac cultofmac.com/313249/itunes-… 3 hours ago
- RT @adambain: How Much Is a Tweet Worth to Studios? $560 at the Box Office variety.com/2015/digital/n… 3 hours ago
- RT @hunterwalk: “Harsh reality is, if you have trouble hiring, the problem isn’t w the market, it’s w you” medium.com/@hunterwalk… http://t… 3 hours ago
- Interesting way to cut distribution costs: @MarriottIntl gives you free WiFi, but only if you book direct. i.e. not Expedia/Priceline. 4 hours ago
- RT @joshelman: .@goldman’s goodbye note from twitter lay out just how to build special products and culture medium.com/lets-not-prete… http://… 4 hours ago
- GameStop continues diversifying by picking up 163 RadioShack locations to sell phones February 27, 2015
- A handy scale for understanding what pageviews actually mean February 27, 2015
- Facebook explains when employees can access your account without your password February 27, 2015
- Google ditches concrete for flexible structures in new HQ proposal February 27, 2015
- Marketing Tech: Which tools provide the biggest return — and which are a waste of money? (webinar) February 27, 2015
- GamesBeat weekly roundup: Valve has VR plans, net neutrality, and Nvidia’s cloud gaming plans February 27, 2015
- Exploring the lessons of the Exploding Kittens $8M crowdfunding campaign February 27, 2015
- After Superfish scandal, Lenovo vows less bloatware and to be ‘leader in cleaner, safer PCs’ February 27, 2015
- Funding Daily: Today’s tech funding news, in one place February 27, 2015
- The DeanBeat: The promise and the peril of virtual reality February 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- A simple fix to an Uber-related security issue
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Because manholes are round
- Groupon resource page
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Why I'm joining Groupon
Category Archives: marketing
I had an interesting Twitter exchange this morning with Milk and Honey Spa in Austin, who recently started following me. Have you run a Groupon or daily deal? No. The economics have never worked out and risk to brand has been … Continue reading
Apple retail stores celebrated their 10th anniversary last week. The stores have defied all analyst expectations and have become the highest grossing retailers in the world. The company’s market cap exceeds all of the other players in tech. Its $5,000 … Continue reading
One of the things that people often ask me is how does someone goes about creating innovative product concepts. What are the research methods and tools to use? One of the most powerful tools is just watching what customers do … Continue reading
Groupon announced a shift from its approach of the same deal for all email subscribers in a market to personalized deals in select cities. CEO Andrew Mason says that there is a backlog of 35,000 businesses waiting to be featured … Continue reading
In recent months, we’ve seen daily deal sites like Groupon and Living Social grow like crazy. Groupon is valued at $1.35 billion. That’s more than 4x the valuation of the McClatchy Company, one of the country’s largest newspaper publishers. It … Continue reading