I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Watch an Entire Flight Sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to Disabled Little Girl | Mediaite mediaite.com/online/watch-a… via @garyleff 2 hours ago
- A stay-at-home parent on the upsides (and challenges) of distributed work | redesign | mobile redesignmobile.com/2015/04/29/don… 2 hours ago
- RT @redesignmobile: The @AmericanExpress Centurion lounge in Vegas is a hit with adults and kids redesignmobile.com/2015/04/29/the… 10 hours ago
- Amex tries to reinvent the airport lounge | redesign | mobile by @robpegoraro redesignmobile.com/2015/04/29/red… 10 hours ago
- RT @vmarks: #retail looks like target is trying to roll out the EMV update @rakeshlobster @BrianRoemmele #target http://t.co/yAf3mfNRhq 11 hours ago
- In tech? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer May 6, 2015
- Mobile, augmented reality games set to become dominant market forces by 2018 May 6, 2015
- Why you should stop giving your customers to Facebook May 6, 2015
- Microsoft says it has no plans to open-source its new Edge browser … yet May 6, 2015
- Microsoft introduces Azure DNS in public preview, expanding its cloud capabilities May 5, 2015
- New Apple ResearchKit apps would ask users to submit personal DNA data, report says May 5, 2015
- U.S. Treasury slaps virtual currency startup Ripple with $700K fine May 5, 2015
- Peruse is a new natural-language search tool for your Dropbox and Box files May 5, 2015
- Apple said to lack key label agreements just weeks from subscription music launch May 5, 2015
- Google invests in AppScale Systems to drive compatibility with App Engine May 5, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Because manholes are round
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
May 2015 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: journalism
I wrote six pieces last week, covering a wider range of topics. If I were to rank them based on their potential for impact, it would go like this: How our favorite tech services should help us in emergencies – A look … Continue reading
Grim This chart shows U.S. newspaper print revenue in nominal dollars. Grimmer Take the same data and adjust it for inflation. Now we’re nearly at 1950 levels. (2011 dollars) Grimmest Now take the inflation adjusted data and do a per … Continue reading
I had several people comment to me this week that they would like to see more timely updates in response to breaking news on companies. For example, the Yelp S-1 was released on Thursday and I probably won’t post my … Continue reading
One of the great innovators in online journalism, Jim Romenesko, resigned from his position at the Poynter Institute, a journalism think tank of sorts. Among journalists, Romenesko practically invented blogging. Some reporters who claimed to never had read a blog … Continue reading
The Washington Post’s technology columnist, Rob Pegoraro, announced yesterday that he is leaving his position. The proximate cause is management deciding that the sort of review and analysis of technology that I’ve been doing for most of those 17 years … Continue reading
Today marks the launch of a groundbreaking new app called Color. The app, available for iPhone and Android, has users automatically share pictures with those around them. Take a picture and people in close proximity can see them. No logins, … Continue reading