I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- The two aviation geeks behind the startup Flightradar24 know where almost every flight is on.wsj.com/1WSGCCs via @WSJ 1 day ago
- 6 things I learned from riding in a Google Self-Driving Car theoatmeal.com/blog/google_se… 1 day ago
- Robert Reich: The sharing economy will be our undoing salon.com/2015/08/25/rob… Interesting perspective. 2 days ago
- Looking forward to trying @VirginAmerica new Hawaii service ... even more so now that they'll have fast internet. 4 days ago
- Great news for travelers: @VirginAmerica to 8-10x internet speed, allow streaming video on 10 new planes. virginamerica.com/cms/about-our-… 4 days ago
- Apple reportedly exploring creation of original video content August 31, 2015
- This accessory makes the Apple Watch an old-timey pocket watch August 31, 2015
- Samsung officially announces the Gear S2 smartwatch August 31, 2015
- Will the new Apple TV lure gamers away from consoles? August 31, 2015
- Google+ brings Collections to its iOS app in latest update August 31, 2015
- Everything announced at VMworld 2015 so far August 31, 2015
- Institutions don’t have needs — people do August 31, 2015
- Smartwatch game developer Everywear closes $2.25M funding round August 31, 2015
- VMware announces EVO SDDC software suite with SDDC Manager, Hardware Management Services August 31, 2015
- Apple and Cisco partner to make wireless fast lanes for iPhones in the workplace August 31, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Donald Trump is right
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Rakesh's quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Custom pictures come to credit cards
Category Archives: daily deals
This post is an excerpt from a forthcoming book on Groupon. It’s a question I’m asked quite often by friends, family, journalists and once by a Groupon employee. Apparently, it’s plausible that I would. When I posted on April Fool’s … Continue reading
Groupon shares dropped to a new all-time low today as its lockup ended, releasing a torrent of new shares on to the market. Thirty minutes into the trading session, Groupon had already traded 75% of its average daily trading volume. … Continue reading
This contains a summary of my work this week. I had two very important non-Groupon stories this week, on Facebook and Twitter. My work Secrets of Facebook’s success: Virality — Facebook’s photo tagging feature was an important driver of its growth. … Continue reading
Dear Andrew: As you may have heard, I am coming back to Chicago in the next couple of weeks for another round of Groupon research. Although you didn’t take me up on my invitation the last time I visited Chicago, … Continue reading
From this morning, a search on Groupon returned these results: I think I’ve made the Groupon and Enron comparison myself. In both cases, you had high-flying companies that focused on short-term growth while ignoring the underlying risks of what they … Continue reading
Groupon was forced to restate fourth quarter earnings, sending its stock down 6% in after-hours trading. This surprised me as much as my $2 investment in the Mega Millions jackpot not paying off. The reasons for Groupon’s restatement were higher … Continue reading