I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- A video from 1995 looking at launching online newspapers. 1MP cameras "coming soon". $13.95/month for 5hrs usage. youtube.com/watch?v=sIdF_i… 17 hours ago
- Everything You Need To Know About The Google-Twitter Partnership searchengineland.com/everything-nee… 1 day ago
- Any idea what bottom two symbols mean? http://t.co/LaOvo2fbiN 2 days ago
- Crowd sourcing: what to do a on a coooooold Saturday in NYC? 3 days ago
- Huge congratulations to @skrenta and @glindahl on @blemish joining IBM Watson. Fantastic team. 3 days ago
- Vital Connect uses Band-Aid-like wearable strip to monitor your vital signs March 31, 2015
- Windows RT is dead March 31, 2015
- The future of mobile game-player acquisition: Play before you download March 31, 2015
- And the best DAM tool in G2 Crowd’s Leader category is … nobody March 31, 2015
- Infinit and beyond: The ultimate file-sharing app just launched on mobile March 31, 2015
- Microsoft unveils Surface 3 with Windows 8.1 for $499: Preorder today in 26 countries, ships on May 5 March 31, 2015
- IT management startup Tanium brings in $52M to expand internationally March 31, 2015
- How to know if your mobile game is on its way to $1M in revenues March 31, 2015
- Greatest computer demo in history debuts as an opera at Stanford this week March 31, 2015
- Bitly closes its bulk link-shortening ‘bundles’ service, cites ‘abuse’ and lack of interest March 31, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Technology's effects on our language
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
March 2015 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: daily deals
This post is an excerpt from a forthcoming book on Groupon. It’s a question I’m asked quite often by friends, family, journalists and once by a Groupon employee. Apparently, it’s plausible that I would. When I posted on April Fool’s … Continue reading
Groupon shares dropped to a new all-time low today as its lockup ended, releasing a torrent of new shares on to the market. Thirty minutes into the trading session, Groupon had already traded 75% of its average daily trading volume. … Continue reading
This contains a summary of my work this week. I had two very important non-Groupon stories this week, on Facebook and Twitter. My work Secrets of Facebook’s success: Virality — Facebook’s photo tagging feature was an important driver of its growth. … Continue reading
Dear Andrew: As you may have heard, I am coming back to Chicago in the next couple of weeks for another round of Groupon research. Although you didn’t take me up on my invitation the last time I visited Chicago, … Continue reading
From this morning, a search on Groupon returned these results: I think I’ve made the Groupon and Enron comparison myself. In both cases, you had high-flying companies that focused on short-term growth while ignoring the underlying risks of what they … Continue reading
Groupon was forced to restate fourth quarter earnings, sending its stock down 6% in after-hours trading. This surprised me as much as my $2 investment in the Mega Millions jackpot not paying off. The reasons for Groupon’s restatement were higher … Continue reading