I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @Chris_DL: New version of BBC News Headlines for @Pebble in color, with timeline! New design will also be available on Aplite. http://t.… 6 hours ago
- RT @bryce: when we had a female associate we met a lot of female founders. now that we have an asian associate, we're meeting a lot of asia… 6 hours ago
- RT @BrianNorgard: Twitter corp dev deserves serious credit for the @periscopeco swoop. And they did it well before the hype cycle! Smart. 6 hours ago
- RT @AmerBanker: Gmail Bill Pay a Bigger Threat to Banks than Google Wallet bit.ly/1H0LETX #payments http://t.co/QN5vRaYsTE 6 hours ago
- Ff @ktbenner one of the most knowledgeable finance types in tech media. 6 hours ago
- RadiumOne is in dire financial circumstances, sources say — company denies it March 28, 2015
- Ellen Pao loses Kleiner case, but says if she helped women and minorities in VC, then ‘battle was worth it’ March 28, 2015
- Follow these 7 steps if you’re talking to a possible acquirer March 27, 2015
- What to Think, Ep. 47: The future of cities with swarms of driverless cars March 27, 2015
- Google responds to Wall Street Journal allegations: Microsoft visited the White House more than we did March 27, 2015
- Intel considers $10B-plus acquisition of programmable chip maker Altera, report says March 27, 2015
- Kleiner Perkins wins on all claims in Ellen Pao case (updated) March 27, 2015
- Georgia kills anti-LGBT bill as tech giants protest Indiana law March 27, 2015
- IBM acquires ‘certain assets’ from web crawling startup Blekko March 27, 2015
- This guy invented a machine just for picking up ketchup blobs March 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
Monthly Archives: February 2012
Join me an Jon Sterling tomorrow, March 1 at 11 a.m. in Union Square. We’ll be walking from Union Square to Coit Tower and back. Rain or shine. Please tweet at me so we know to expect you. No fitbit … Continue reading
I get this question a lot — “Where does rakeshlobster come from?” I was drinking with a bunch of friends at a bar in Milwaukee (I think it was the Safe House) when the B-52’s song “Rock Lobster” came on. … Continue reading
Although I’ve strongly criticized Yelp‘s business model in recent weeks, Yelp is an incredibly important platform for small businesses to be aware of and engage with. And unlike Groupon, which has almost no redeeming value, Yelp has created a valuable consumer … Continue reading
This is a Yelp advertiser agreement that I received from a source. I’ve removed elements that might identify the source or the salesperson. ADVERTISING TERMS AND CONDITIONS AD IMPRESSIONS PROGRAM AND ENHANCED PROFILE PROGRAM These Advertising Terms and Conditions (the … Continue reading
I had so much fun the last time I organized an ad hoc breakfast. I met some interesting people. The next breakfast will be in San Francisco at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, February 17. If you’re interested in attending, email … Continue reading
In the short-term, much of Facebook’s user growth will come from international markets. Unfortunately, that’s not where the money is. Based on my analysis of Facebook’s S-1, Facebook generated $13.99 in revenue for each U.S. user and $2.81 for foreign … Continue reading