I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Great advice from @joshelman on product hunt live producthunt.com/live/josh-elman 1 day ago
- RT @ReutersTech: Instagram adds features to keep up with young, messaging users reut.rs/1PJvpP8 1 day ago
- Restaurant recommendations by Uber? Using mass data to make recommendations viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/09/01/hil… 1 day ago
- “DoorDash Inks First Non-Restaurant Delivery Deal With 7-Eleven (Sans Slurpees)” forbes.com/sites/emilyinv… 1 day ago
- How long has Google been letting you scroll through recent tweets in search results? 1 day ago
- Intel pledges $50M in quantum computing push to solve big problems September 3, 2015
- iPad may be getting a demotion as Apple decides against a standalone event for new versions September 3, 2015
- Samsung announces first Ultra HD Blu-ray player, launches in Europe in early 2016 September 3, 2015
- One of these online video ads will win Virool’s contest and get to defy gravity September 3, 2015
- Samsung launches SmartThings Hub to manage home IoT systems September 3, 2015
- Samsung launches SleepSense, a smart sleep-tracker that connects to your home appliances September 3, 2015
- eBay is 20 years old today September 3, 2015
- ‘You are my inspiration’: China’s Uber rival Didi to Uber CEO Kalanick September 3, 2015
- Street View on Google Maps is now available as its own Android app September 3, 2015
- Samsung has shown it’s serious about Tizen, but is it yet ‘The OS of Everything’? September 3, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Donald Trump is right
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Why I'm joining Groupon
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Because manholes are round
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
Monthly Archives: February 2012
Join me an Jon Sterling tomorrow, March 1 at 11 a.m. in Union Square. We’ll be walking from Union Square to Coit Tower and back. Rain or shine. Please tweet at me so we know to expect you. No fitbit … Continue reading
I get this question a lot — “Where does rakeshlobster come from?” I was drinking with a bunch of friends at a bar in Milwaukee (I think it was the Safe House) when the B-52’s song “Rock Lobster” came on. … Continue reading
Although I’ve strongly criticized Yelp‘s business model in recent weeks, Yelp is an incredibly important platform for small businesses to be aware of and engage with. And unlike Groupon, which has almost no redeeming value, Yelp has created a valuable consumer … Continue reading
This is a Yelp advertiser agreement that I received from a source. I’ve removed elements that might identify the source or the salesperson. ADVERTISING TERMS AND CONDITIONS AD IMPRESSIONS PROGRAM AND ENHANCED PROFILE PROGRAM These Advertising Terms and Conditions (the … Continue reading
I had so much fun the last time I organized an ad hoc breakfast. I met some interesting people. The next breakfast will be in San Francisco at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, February 17. If you’re interested in attending, email … Continue reading
In the short-term, much of Facebook’s user growth will come from international markets. Unfortunately, that’s not where the money is. Based on my analysis of Facebook’s S-1, Facebook generated $13.99 in revenue for each U.S. user and $2.81 for foreign … Continue reading