I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Welcoming @conorsen, the latest investor in the @redesignmobile family. One of the smartest investors I know. 5 hours ago
- Excited to welcome the incredible @ravi as the latest investor in @redesignmobile 8 hours ago
- Museum of obsolete tech, part 2. http://t.co/V9QOs6xRds 14 hours ago
- My museum of obsolete technology, part 1 http://t.co/B1QPfgN1CS 14 hours ago
- Strangest Apple Watch experience... emails that show on Watch disappear from my mailbox. Not all the time, but not infrequent. 14 hours ago
- Facebook quietly dumped Skype before launching its own video calling feature April 28, 2015
- Careful what you write: How text mining could hurt your business April 28, 2015
- Charter Communications closer than ever to renewing Time Warner Cable acquisition offer, reports say April 28, 2015
- Yahoo bids on video with new original series, live video expansion, and magazine style talk shows April 27, 2015
- Apple working to fix Apple Watch supply problems, Tim Cook says April 27, 2015
- Facebook’s Parse adds local data support for Apple Watch April 27, 2015
- Tim Cook: Apple Watch app store now has 3,500 apps, ‘far ahead’ of expectations April 27, 2015
- Apple kills it again in Q2: beats estimates, sells 61.2M iPhones worldwide April 27, 2015
- 23 things I did with my Apple Watch in one weekend April 27, 2015
- LiveNinja and Kairos: Video chat for customer service that knows who you are April 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- Media requests
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
Monthly Archives: February 2012
Join me an Jon Sterling tomorrow, March 1 at 11 a.m. in Union Square. We’ll be walking from Union Square to Coit Tower and back. Rain or shine. Please tweet at me so we know to expect you. No fitbit … Continue reading
I get this question a lot — “Where does rakeshlobster come from?” I was drinking with a bunch of friends at a bar in Milwaukee (I think it was the Safe House) when the B-52’s song “Rock Lobster” came on. … Continue reading
Although I’ve strongly criticized Yelp‘s business model in recent weeks, Yelp is an incredibly important platform for small businesses to be aware of and engage with. And unlike Groupon, which has almost no redeeming value, Yelp has created a valuable consumer … Continue reading
This is a Yelp advertiser agreement that I received from a source. I’ve removed elements that might identify the source or the salesperson. ADVERTISING TERMS AND CONDITIONS AD IMPRESSIONS PROGRAM AND ENHANCED PROFILE PROGRAM These Advertising Terms and Conditions (the … Continue reading
I had so much fun the last time I organized an ad hoc breakfast. I met some interesting people. The next breakfast will be in San Francisco at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, February 17. If you’re interested in attending, email … Continue reading
In the short-term, much of Facebook’s user growth will come from international markets. Unfortunately, that’s not where the money is. Based on my analysis of Facebook’s S-1, Facebook generated $13.99 in revenue for each U.S. user and $2.81 for foreign … Continue reading