reDesign

August 1, 2011

Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb

Filed under: airbnb — Rakesh Agrawal @ 2:35 pm

This is a Q&A with Loretta Worters of the Insurance Information Institute on insurance coverage and short-term rental sites like Airbnb. See the companion piece which looks at other risks with Airbnb and includes comments from State Farm.

If a guest is paying to rent your house or apartment damages your property, is it typically covered by your homeowners/renters/condo insurance?

No.  The guest must have their own rental insurance.

If a guest is paying to rent your house or apartment trips or falls or is otherwise injured, is it typically covered by your homeowners/renters/condo insurance?

No.  Homeowners who rent their property can protect themselves from financial loss by purchasing a landlord policy.

If a guest is paying to rent your house or apartment gets drunk and jumps off the roof, is it typically covered by your homeowners/renters/condo insurance?

There is no coverage under your homeowners/renters or condo policy.

Does it matter how many days a year you rent out your home/apartment?

Would any of this be covered by umbrella liability insurance?

Umbrella insurance is designed to provide liability protection beyond the limits of homeowners, auto and watercraft personal insurance policies. With an umbrella policy, depending on the insurance company, the policyholder can add an additional $1 million to $5 million in liability protection. This protection is designed to “kick-in” when the underlying liability on other current policies has been exhausted.  Most likely the insurance company would want you to have the landlord policy as your “underlying policy.”

Is there a specific type of policy that consumers should purchase to ensure they are covered?

Yes, people who rent out their home, condo, etc., should purchase a landlord insurance policy which covers:

§  The house. Much like a homeowners policy, it usually provides coverage against hazards such as fire, lightning, falling objects, smoke, explosion, wind and hail, water damage, among others.

• Other structures located on the property (garages, sheds, etc.). This coverage is often limited to 10 percent of the overall coverage on the house. For example, for a home with a $200,000 policy limit, no more than $20,000 would be paid to a policyholder to cover losses incurred to structures on the property but apart from the house itself.
  • Property contents. While landlord insurance policies do not insure a tenant’s belongings, they do typically cover any of the landlord’s personal property that might be used by a tenant, such as tools, landscaping equipment, appliances and furniture (either stored on site or provided by landlords for use by their tenants). The best way to be sure of having enough personal property coverage is to take an accurate inventory of the contents on the premises.
  • Lost rental income. This coverage reimburses a landlord for any lost rental income due to building damage. Typically it provides up to 12 months of lost rental income.
  • Legal fees and liability protection. Landlords may be liable if a tenant is injured on the property. Most landlord insurance policies cover the landlord’s legal fees should a tenant file a lawsuit. This type of policy would also pay out in the event of a judgment against a landlord, protecting his or her personal belongings and assets if the tenant prevails in court. The policy may also cover medical payments in the event that a tenant is injured.

Landlord policies generally cost about 25 percent more than a standard homeowners policy because landlords need more protection than a typical homeowner. There are many factors used to determine the price of a landlord policy, including:

• The square footage of the house and any additional structures, such as a detached garage.
  • Building costs in the area.
  • The features of the home, and construction materials used to build it.
  • The crime rate in the neighborhood.
  • The likelihood of damage from natural disasters, such as hurricanes and hail storms.
  • The home’s proximity to a fire hydrant (or other source of water) and to a fire station; whether the community has a professional or volunteer fire service; and other factors that can affect the time it takes to put out a fire.
  • The condition of the home’s plumbing, heating and electrical systems.

When planning to rent out a home, it is important to take some basic precautions:

• Require tenants to show proof of renters insurance for personal property, family liability, guest medical and additional living expenses. This not only provides them with protection, but will prevent tenants from trying to sue the landlord if there is a fire or other disaster.
  • Notify an insurance agent or company representative that the home is being rented out, and discuss the implications. Be aware that many insurance companies do not provide coverage for vehicles that are left at a landlord’s home and remain accessible to tenants.

Have P&C insurers dealt with claims related to Airbnb?

Not that I am aware of  I looked at their site and notice their terms of use leave them not liable for any damage.  Some of the wording:

WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY DIRECT, INCIDENTAL, GENERAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES) EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO: (A) THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE OUR SERVICES; (B) HARM OR DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY AS A RESULT OF USING OUR SERVICES; (C) DISCLOSURE OF, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR CONTENT; (D) ANY HARM TO YOU CAUSED IN WHOLE OR PART BY A THIRD PARTY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANOTHER USER OF THE SERVICES;

That’s why it is so important for people who rent out their home to make sure they demand the person have insurance before they allow them to take possession of the rental property.

Assume I have homeowner’s/renter’s/condo insurance and I stay at someone’s place. While there, my iPad, laptop and camera are stolen. Would my insurance cover that? I know there is usually some off-premises coverage. (It may not be worth filing a claim over, but would be good to know the coverages.)

Your homeowners/condo or renters insurance provides protection for the camera under off-premises coverage (which is anywhere in the world).  Something like an iPad or laptop usually has a rider that you can purchase from your insurer.  For the person who rents, it is important to have renters insurance which includes liability to protect you if someone sues you for falling, etc.  The person who falls, might try to sue you and the owner, so you need to protect yourself.

About these ads

52 Comments »

1. [...] by Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb « reDesign — August 1, 2011 @ 2:38 pm [...]

Pingback by Airbnb’s changes don’t go far enough « reDesign — August 1, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

2. Does standard renter’s insurance cover theft or damage by an Airbnb guest?…

This is an open question, but the likely answer in the U.S. is “no.” I specifically asked the Insurance Information Institute about this. That is a trade group that represents the insurance industry. They were unequivocal that this would not be cover…

Trackback by Quora — August 2, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

3. Like most of these insurance packages, there’s a huge variation in what’s covered. It pays to read the small print over your side of the pond as it does over here in the UK. I’ve just done a job and not been paid very promptly when a student trashed the kitchen plumbing in his shared house during a drunken party. The little rascal hadn’t taken out any insurance and from a poor family there wasn’t much chance of paying for the damage. The landlord paid me a deposit to start the job and then back pedalled when I was finished. Turned out he’d stuffed up on getting his insurance renewed and had taken a quick cheap policy. guess what wasn’t covered!!!

Comment by Tomaz Samson — October 7, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

4. As an insurance agent myself, I know how hard it was to take the insurance test and pass my first time. So, how do we expect our customers to know all that we know without keeping them informed. The best idea I have found is to keep my customers happy, covered, and try to answer all questions before they ask them. I have been in insurance for 20 years and always enjoy sharing input and knowledge. Thanks.

Comment by Oregon Insurance Quote — October 11, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

5. Thank you so much for this blog. Its been really useful. I’m an Air BnB host in the UK and having a nightmare trying to find someone to insurance my place.

Comment by kate — December 8, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

• Kate (or anyone) – what insurance did you end up with? I am in the same position.

Comment by Jezza — December 15, 2011 @ 4:08 am

• Tout ce que vous-même allez apprendre afin de marchander activement votre lunettes de vue laisser un mois de Phoebe très aimable.
        Profitez de votre lunette loupe véritablement
        votre branche et par la même occasion tout votre lunettes

Comment by lunettes — June 13, 2014 @ 4:56 am

• Has anyone found a company that offers liability coverage for sublets like airbnb? I have two apts. I own apt 1, and the homeowners policy covers tenants including airbnb guests. So that is great. But I rent apt 2. When I sublet it, my renters policy does NOT cover subletters like airbnb. Does anyone know of ANY insurance company in the US that covers sublets? I’d really like to get a policy from that company. Thanks!

Comment by Robert — April 13, 2012 @ 6:35 am

• Any luck finding an insurance company who would offer liability for Airbnb?

Comment by Rob — March 21, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

6. We helped several nonprofits from grassroots to international with their marketing and fundraising
    efforts. Thus, there are no two ways about the many
    benefits of search engine and social media marketing.
    While activism is a great way to ensure control
    on authority, at times it can be misused by power hungry
    activists. Many companies only check their profiles a
    couple of times per day. Whether you are a large company or a small startup, you can count on social media to gain access to millions
    of people around the globe. Using social media can bring in visitors to your site.
    This will enhance the business’ reputation and credibility.
    Followers will begin to feel like they know you as an acquaintance,
    or a friend, which will make them much more
    likely to think of you when they or a friend require photography services.
    One of the best things while maintaining business reputation and brand is to first restrict
    the heavy use of social media channels or to have a perfect rule, which defines the flow of information from the company to public.
    Companies who actually care to listen not only get useful
    insights from customer sentiments but also win the loyalty
    of those which they extend assistance to.

Comment by boca raton social media marketing trends — June 1, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

7. This piece of writing presents clear idea in favor
    of the new people of blogging, that really how to do blogging and site-building.

Comment by aspirateur robot samsung — June 5, 2014 @ 2:28 am

8. Hello there! This post could not be written much better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my
    previous roommate! He always kept talking
    about this. I’ll forward this post to him.
    Pretty sure he’s going to have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by นาฬิกา — June 5, 2014 @ 11:53 pm

9. My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.

But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on numerous websites for about a
    year and am anxious about switching to another platform.
    I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment by robot piscine dolphin — June 6, 2014 @ 6:05 am

10. top 10 gaming laptops 2011 under 1000

Comment by http://www.thesixtyone.com/pcofine/ — June 6, 2014 @ 8:27 pm

11. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this blog.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s hard to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appeal.

I must say you’ve done a excellent job with this.
    In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on Safari.
    Exceptional Blog!

Comment by Jeannine — June 7, 2014 @ 1:59 pm

12. Make sure your postings dont contradict your filings.
    Most states let you retain your vehicle provided the equity does not exceed several
    thousand dollars (For instance, in Virginia an individual may
    protect up to $2,000 in equity in his or her vehicle(s)).
    Depending on your business structure, closing your business
    without bankruptcy will either cease future debt collection,
    or cause your personal assets and income to become open to
    collection to satisfy the debt.

Comment by Jaqueline — June 7, 2014 @ 2:28 pm

13. forskolin gnc canada online store

Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb | reDesign

Trackback by forskolin gnc canada online store — June 10, 2014 @ 11:12 am

14. thesixtyone.com

Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb | reDesign

Trackback by thesixtyone.com — June 10, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

15. Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is magnificent, as well as the content!

Comment by ถนนคนเดินเชียงใหม่ — June 11, 2014 @ 9:27 pm

16. fast food calorie counter

Comment by menuo.free.fr — June 12, 2014 @ 2:54 am

17. I visited multiple web pages however the audio quality for audio songs current
    at this website is really superb.

Comment by โปรเจคจบล — June 14, 2014 @ 5:13 am

18. You enter point of actuality a new perfect webmaster. The internet site filling pace is outstanding. It sort of feels you are executing just about any exclusive tip. As well, A articles tend to be masterwork. you may have done a great approach in this subject!

Comment by izmir havalimanı kuşadası ulaşım — June 14, 2014 @ 6:46 am

19. My family every time say that I am killing my time here at net, however I know
    I am getting experience every day by reading such fastidious
    posts.

Comment by ทัวร์ญี่ปุ่น — June 16, 2014 @ 2:18 pm

20. Somebody necessarily lend a hand to make severely articles I would
    state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now?
    I surprised with the analysis you made to create this actual post extraordinary.

Fantastic task!

Comment by compagnie déménagement — June 16, 2014 @ 5:27 pm

21. With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored myself or
    outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement.
    Do you know any methods to help prevent content from being
    ripped off? I’d really appreciate it.

Comment by www.raschetik.ru — June 19, 2014 @ 11:45 pm

22. I am really happy to read this blog posts which consists of plenty of helpful information, thanks for
    providing these kinds of information.

Comment by http://birdcv.com — June 20, 2014 @ 11:00 pm

23. If the ice accumulate issue is ignored you very well may soon have to discover the situation of buying.
    Take something else and plug it into the power source will help you determine where the fault lies.

-You will lower your energy bills and be able to purchase a more
    energy efficient air conditioner.

Comment by AC Service Dallas — June 25, 2014 @ 12:48 am

24. Yoga can keep your mind balanced and your human body will remain in shape.
    It is also mandatory to take the correct diet to
    gain maximum from these drops. Sometimes you’ll see no changes at all, which might
    indicate that you need a more fundamental reevaluation of your diet and exercise, on a larger scale
    than simply adding HCG to the mix and hoping everything else will work out on its own.

Comment by weight loss shots hcg reviews — June 26, 2014 @ 10:50 am

25. Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great.
    I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are
    saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take
    care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you.

This is actually a terrific website.

Comment by intermittent fasting — June 27, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

26. It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I’m
    happy that you simply shared this useful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by silownia — June 29, 2014 @ 12:06 am

27. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some
    interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring
    to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

Comment by uginanie ramion podchwytem — June 29, 2014 @ 7:11 am

28. Hi Dear, are you truly visiting this web site regularly,
    if so afterward you will absolutely get nice knowledge.

Comment by zdrowie — July 1, 2014 @ 12:50 am

29. But I don’t feel sympathy, or smartphone.
    They sit on caal bears football blog her hind legs One man and
    wipe out Tigyer Wood’s bank account in court, would avert their children’s gaze,
    as noted, was ‘eye-opening’ for staff at the forward P/E of 9.
    No one chooses who they are not as golden, nor aare there
    anyy rules that need!

Comment by Angus — July 1, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

30. Good article. I’m going through some of these issues as well..

Comment by cwiczenia na brzuch — July 3, 2014 @ 12:44 am

31. Consder motion As you make discoveries about on your own, get motion.
    This has real balls and pins, interactive sound and display screen, thoroughly operator
    adjustable, and built from plywood. Youu wager, I am presenting you to Opteman services, an webb provider you
    are not able to merely seizae anyplace.

Comment by BYOD Explained — July 3, 2014 @ 7:08 pm

32. hello!,I like your writing very much! proportion we keep in touch extra
    approximately your article on AOL? I need a specialist on this house to resolve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Having a look forward
    to see you.

Comment by ทัวร์เกาหลีราคาถูก — July 3, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

33. I’m really lovjng the theme/design of your webb site. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues?
    A small number of my blog audience have complained about my website not
    operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari.

Do yyou have any tips to help fix this issue?

Comment by hair products — July 5, 2014 @ 6:21 am

34. It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.

I have read this post and if I could I want
    to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring
    to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Comment by miesnie — July 5, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

35. Dermatend is a powerful natural mole removal technology which has magical result and
    priced reasonably. Furthermore, the scientific name for skin tags is acrochordon.
    I have researched the internet on this subject and found that their are more natural ways to
    treat and remove Moles, Warts, Skin Tags and even Genital Warts.

Comment by removing skin tags — July 5, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

36. Website design basics take many things into account such as colors and designs as well as
    adding material that the search engines will be able to find.
    Is it back-links, internal links or graphical links they all
    should be done and updated in an acceptable way. Handcoders can be used for more involved
    projects that require PHP, ASP or Custom CMS Development or actual programming.

Comment by Jacksonville Sunshine State Website Designers — July 5, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

37. An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who has
    been doing a little research on this. And he actually ordered me dinner because
    I discovered it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this….
    Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to discuss this matter here on your internet site.

Comment by Http://Gjchome.Com/Space.Php?Uid=37&Do=Blog&Id=58 — July 6, 2014 @ 1:27 am

38. Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?

A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would
    really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got
    your design. Thanks

Comment by silownia — July 8, 2014 @ 7:38 am

39. Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your website, how could i subscribe
    for a blog website? The account aided me a appropriate deal.
    I have been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided shiny
    transparent idea

Comment by jak zrzucic tluszcz z brzucha — July 8, 2014 @ 9:49 am

40. I think everything posted was actually very reasonable.

However, what about this? suppose you added a little information? I mean, I don’t wish to telpl you how to run your blog,
    but what if you added a title that makkes people desire
    more? I mean Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb | reDesign is kinda plain. Youu might glance at Yahoo’s home page and see how thery create articlle
    titles to grab iewers interested. You might add a
    related video or a pic or two to grab people interested about everything’ve
    got to say. In my opinion, it might make your
    website a little livelier.

Comment by varooma — July 8, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

41. What i do not realize is in reality how you’re not really a lot more smartly-preferred
    than you might be right now. You’re very intelligent.
    You already know therefore considerably relating to this topic, made
    me individually imagine it from a lot of various angles.
    Its like women and men are not fascinated except it’s something
    to do with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs nice.

At all times deal with it up!

Comment by jak cwiczyc na silowni — July 9, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

42. Are the social interactions online that much more beneficial for you and your spouse
    than finding more moments for your marital relationship.

Events can be found on the new Facebook page in the upper right
    under “Upcoming”-these are the events that are
    upcoming. Since businesses are noticing this,
    you should take note as well. There is a tool that lots of small business neglect.

Your members will raise your profits and give you additional sales when they think they are in a club that’s exclusive.
    It doesn’t give a real time tuning into corresponding profiles but
    instead evaluates the impressions by graphically showing how many
    people retweetted or answered a tweet as well as how many people
    were reached out. Conversion after the click,
    however, is up to your website design. The kind of information that you will
    be able to gather can protect your company from possible threats
    such as gossip and other information that could ruin your reputation. You can get feedback from your followers in just about any social media venue,
    and you can use this feedback to craft a better approach for the future.
    I think as the age of their users rise, tech companies
    will continue to revise policies and make controls similar to
    what Google has more common.

Comment by social media marketing job description — July 9, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

43. It’s ann awesome piece of writig for all the web visitors;
    they will obtain benefit from it I aam sure.

Comment by http://jwils1118.tumblr.com/ — July 10, 2014 @ 1:37 am

44. Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just nice and i could assume you are an expert on this
    subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab
    your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

Comment by Search Engine Optimization Salary — July 11, 2014 @ 10:18 am

45. I read this post completely on the topic of the
    difference of latest and earlier technologies, it’s
    amazing article.

Comment by search engine marketing basics — July 11, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

46. Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog web site?
    The account aided me a appropriate deal. I were a little
    bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vivid clear
    concept

Comment by allvoices.com — July 14, 2014 @ 5:54 am

47. Heya! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does managing a well-established website like yours take a large amount of work?
    I am completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my journal on a daily basis.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experienc
    and views online. Please let me know if you have any
    kind of ideas or tjps for brand new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

Comment by Shaunte — July 17, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

48. This is a topic whih is near to my heart… Take care!
    Where are your copntact details though?

Comment by obstructive sleep apnea in babies — July 18, 2014 @ 9:43 am