I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Apple Pay online is also likely to reduce CAC for a lot of businesses. Less friction = lower CAC. 10 hours ago
- Apple Pay's OS-level integration represents an existential threat to @PayPal. No extra account needed. 10 hours ago
- As I've said before, biggest value in Apple Pay is for online/mobile transactions. @Uber integration is template to follow. (Update app.) 10 hours ago
- Apple Pay: first mobile payments product that works as easily as advertised. 11 hours ago
- Glad to see Facebook announce Safety Check. newsroom.fb.com/news/2014/10/i… Big companies can help make the world safer linkedin.com/pulse/article/… 4 days ago
- Why I’m joining PayPal March 11, 2014
- How Google+ can win over parents and grandparents from Facebook February 19, 2014
- The best transportation option in San Francisco might be one you’ve never heard of February 19, 2014
- In my first dine-and-dash experience with OpenTable, even the server was onboard with it February 12, 2014
- Why I love Twitter — and why that might not matter February 6, 2014
- Google could still win social — by redefining what social means February 5, 2014
- Facebook is 10. So why is it acting like it’s 80? February 5, 2014
- What UberX’s new lower pricing means for the transportation market January 11, 2014
- Two pictures that illustrate 12 years of change in technology (and the increasing irrelevance of CES) January 10, 2014
- Evernote’s Phil Libin shows how to do startup PR the right way January 9, 2014
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- Batkid, San Francisco and my brother’s experience with the Make-A-Wish foundation
- Why I’m joining OLO’s advisory board
- A few thoughts on customer service
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Anyone can be a journalist
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Think Groupon is a technology company? Think again.
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
Monthly Archives: August 2011
Much has been made of Facebook’s decision last week to exit the daily deals space. Yesterday, Yelp told Bloomberg’s Doug MacMillan that it is also exiting the daily deals space. A lot of the analysis has used these examples to … Continue reading
Dear Andrew, I must admit I was surprised to read your email to employees yesterday. I say this because I’ve reached out to your PR team in the course of covering Groupon and they’ve often used the excuse that you’re … Continue reading
I’m interested in meeting with Groupon employees and former employees when I visit Chicago next week. I will be in town from the evening of Sept. 1 through the evening of Sept. 6 and would love to meet with you. … Continue reading
A couple of years ago, I’d ordered some business cards from Moo. At the same time I’d prepaid for my next pack. Atypically for me, I forgot to note the details of the offer. When it came time for me … Continue reading
Note: If you have Groupon or other daily deal experiences to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Even in its revised S-1 issued last week, Andrew Mason’s letter directs potential shareholders to three key metrics: gross profit, free cash flow, and the … Continue reading