I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @angusdav: Machine Learning for the win … @Swipely predicts how many peeps will come to your restaurant tonight, NRMSE ± 12% 👏 https://t… 20 hours ago
- RT @Bill_Gross: "Total cash on hand of digital co's is 5x more than market cap of all 4 major TV networks." TKawaja #UpFrontSummit https:/… 20 hours ago
- If you combine market caps of $YELP, $GRUB, $GRPN, $ANGI total is still less than the $6B Google offered for $GRPN. 21 hours ago
- Twitter Inc: Here's Why TWTR Stock Will Go to Zero | InvestorPlace investorplace.com/2016/02/twtr-s… What a load of crap. 21 hours ago
- RT @mdudas: $YELP, $GRUB and $GRPN all trading at ~ $1.5B market cap. $SQ at ~ $2.6B. Mobile local commerce is hard stuff if you're not $GO… 1 day ago
- Hacker hijacks Dridex botnet to serve free antivirus February 5, 2016
- BMW-backed valet startup, Zirx, kills off consumer business to focus on enterprise February 5, 2016
- Twitter says it’s ‘suspended over 125,000 accounts’ related to terrorism February 5, 2016
- BlackBerry confirms layoffs, but not magnitude February 5, 2016
- H1Z1 zombie game splits into two strains — and spreads to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One February 5, 2016
- Scoring high-value customers: You don’t win the Super Bowl with everyone on offense February 5, 2016
- Professional networking site TalentSky raises $7.5 million to tackle Linkedin February 5, 2016
- Google confirms Hangouts will now use peer-to-peer connections to improve call quality and speed February 5, 2016
- GamesBeat weekly roundup: Hearthstone’s big changes, and Nintendo’s mobile debut imminent February 5, 2016
- The DeanBeat: Fallout, Skyrim director Todd Howard earns lifetime achievement award February 5, 2016
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Because manholes are round
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Why small businesses are snapping up the daily deal
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- Watching American football in Dublin
- Technology's effects on our language
Monthly Archives: August 2010
Facebook’s much awaited Places product finally launched this week. It’s the first step toward bringing friend finding to the masses. People have been using Facebook to do this for years; posting their location in freeform status updates that their friends can … Continue reading
There’s an interesting thread over at Mike Blumenthal’s blog on the effect of Facebook Places on the local reviews space. My view is that reviews and updates will coexist, much as blogs and Twitter coexist. People who were less committed … Continue reading