I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- The regulatory times are a changin'. As SV disrupts more, regulators are getting more interested sooner. mashable.com/2016/02/10/sil… 32 minutes ago
- Chase Re-Ups Amazon: the High Water Mark for Co-Brand Credit Card Deals? By @garyleff viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/02/12/450… 56 minutes ago
- RT @trengriffin: People who try to explain market price changes by naming a single factor crack me up. mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKC… Markets are … 12 hours ago
- RT @Techmeme: PayPal launches Commerce, a toolkit for integrating buy buttons into apps, in closed beta techcrunch.com/2016/02/11/pay… https://t.c… 16 hours ago
- RT @rdoddala: Facebook wants what twitter's got and twitter wants what facebook's got! https://t.co/hPerpfpgSw 17 hours ago
- Apple is reportedly filming its first original show … starring Dr. Dre February 12, 2016
- Court says Facebook nude painting case can be tried in France February 12, 2016
- Google is shutting down Picasa on May 1, 2016 February 12, 2016
- Pinterest open-sources its Teletraan tool for deploying code February 12, 2016
- YouTube acquires music startup BandPage February 12, 2016
- Funding Daily: Cybersecurity startup Cynet raises $7M from Lazarus February 12, 2016
- GamesBeat weekly roundup: Blizzard turns 25, and Assassin’s Creed takes a break February 12, 2016
- Blizzard’s execs eye mobile as their next winning game strategy — but not virtual reality February 12, 2016
- Marvel’s Peter Phillips answers the call to speak at GamesBeat Summit 2016 February 12, 2016
- The DeanBeat: Farewell to #GamerGate February 12, 2016
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- How effective is it to have a 5,000-year vision for a company, as Jack Dorsey is said to have for Square?
- Five mistakes that product managers make
- Things Apple slammed before implementing them
- If you’re going to own individual stocks, own these three
- Rakesh’s quick guide to investing for the lay person
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Because manholes are round
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- Technology's effects on our language
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
Monthly Archives: July 2010
Groupon announced a shift from its approach of the same deal for all email subscribers in a market to personalized deals in select cities. CEO Andrew Mason says that there is a backlog of 35,000 businesses waiting to be featured … Continue reading
In recent months, we’ve seen daily deal sites like Groupon and Living Social grow like crazy. Groupon is valued at $1.35 billion. That’s more than 4x the valuation of the McClatchy Company, one of the country’s largest newspaper publishers. It … Continue reading
On my last trip, I had the opportunity to try United’s mobile check-in and mobile boarding passes. The promise is paper-free check in. It sounds really great, but it’s not quite there. Partly it’s due to United’s horrible user interface, … Continue reading