I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- It's amazing how quickly @Bankoff took a sports blogging network and turned it into a media powerhouse. 11 hours ago
- Congratulations to @karaswisher and @Bankoff. A great combination. 11 hours ago
- Landlord just hit me with a 22% rent increase. #lifeinSF #talkrent 16 hours ago
- Simple and very useful @Target watch feature. http://t.co/VhbiqeYkYL 4 days ago
- Watching people use that @McDonalds touch screen ordering... Clearly the ux and process flow needs a lot of work. 6 days ago
- SensorWake alarm clock gets you up with sweet smells May 27, 2015
- Mobile web market will triple in size to $850B by 2018, says Digi-Capital May 27, 2015
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren puts tech crowd to sleep with talk of infrastructure May 27, 2015
- Why EMC’s $1.2B Virtustream purchase could be a big deal in the cloud market May 27, 2015
- Screentendo can turn almost anything on your computer into a Mario level May 27, 2015
- Engagement to die for: Snapchat has 100M daily users, 65% of whom upload photos May 27, 2015
- Value-add VCs are not bullsh*t — here’s why May 27, 2015
- Microsoft integrates its How Old face-recognition tool into Bing image search results May 26, 2015
- Tubular Labs adds $7M for video analytics and marketing service May 26, 2015
- Vox Media acquires tech blog Re/code May 26, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Because manholes are round
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Google Maps: extreme close up with Street View
Monthly Archives: March 2009
Sir Richard Branson, chairman of Virgin Group – He’s my kind of billionaire: irreverent, playful and working for the public good. Steve Case, co-founder of AOL – No one person did more to bring Americans online than Steve. I was … Continue reading
This picture should send shivers down the spines of executives at USA Today headquarters in McLean, Va. For at least as long as I’ve been traveling for business (13 years and counting), a USA Today in front of the hotel … Continue reading
I read two thought-provoking pieces this week on the decline of newspapers from voices outside the newspaper business and one Really Dumb Idea from a voice on the inside. Author Clay Shirky, Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable: When someone demands … Continue reading
In the first part, I wrote about the fallacy of using people with thousands of followers to illustrate how you can get great results if you ask questions on Twitter. In this part, I’ll focus on why the conversational nature … Continue reading