I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @Chris_DL: New version of BBC News Headlines for @Pebble in color, with timeline! New design will also be available on Aplite. http://t.… 13 hours ago
- RT @bryce: when we had a female associate we met a lot of female founders. now that we have an asian associate, we're meeting a lot of asia… 13 hours ago
- RT @BrianNorgard: Twitter corp dev deserves serious credit for the @periscopeco swoop. And they did it well before the hype cycle! Smart. 13 hours ago
- RT @AmerBanker: Gmail Bill Pay a Bigger Threat to Banks than Google Wallet bit.ly/1H0LETX #payments http://t.co/QN5vRaYsTE 13 hours ago
- Ff @ktbenner one of the most knowledgeable finance types in tech media. 13 hours ago
- RadiumOne is in dire financial circumstances, sources say — company denies it March 28, 2015
- Ellen Pao loses Kleiner case, but says if she helped women and minorities in VC, then ‘battle was worth it’ March 28, 2015
- Follow these 7 steps if you’re talking to a possible acquirer March 27, 2015
- What to Think, Ep. 47: The future of cities with swarms of driverless cars March 27, 2015
- Google responds to Wall Street Journal allegations: Microsoft visited the White House more than we did March 27, 2015
- Intel considers $10B-plus acquisition of programmable chip maker Altera, report says March 27, 2015
- Kleiner Perkins wins on all claims in Ellen Pao case (updated) March 27, 2015
- Georgia kills anti-LGBT bill as tech giants protest Indiana law March 27, 2015
- IBM acquires ‘certain assets’ from web crawling startup Blekko March 27, 2015
- This guy invented a machine just for picking up ketchup blobs March 27, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- My genius list
- Revised Groupon merchant agreement
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- How daily deal companies could improve the merchant experience -- and why they won't
- Because manholes are round
Monthly Archives: November 2006
I was flying into Atlanta yesterday and as the plane descended to the runway, I noticed that one of the buildings on the ground with a giant bullseye on it – Target. Next to it, there was a building with … Continue reading
I’m spending most of this week watching focus groups. It’s one of my favorite parts of my job. It’s a chance to see how real people react to the products that we create. I get to hear from people who … Continue reading
I’ve had more and more friends texting me lately and I’ve had to explain to them how much I hate text messaging. It’s inconvenient, unreliable and costly. Here’s a typical exchange: “R u there already” “Y, u” “Omw” This exchange … Continue reading
If you believe the incessant media hype, today is the biggest online shopping day of the year. Not true. Cyber Monday is a fiction created by a flack for the retail industry perpetuated by much of the mainstream media. But … Continue reading
My favorite MP3 player this year is small, lightweight, doesn’t hold a lot of songs and doesn’t come from Apple. You can only get it Target. A testament to Target’s marketing savvy, it also doubles as a $50 gift card. … Continue reading
The U.S. Mint will be issuing new dollar coins starting around President’s Day. With the failures of the Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea dollars it’s unlikely that the new presidential coins will do any better. The presidential series has the … Continue reading