I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- Simple and very useful @Target watch feature. http://t.co/VhbiqeYkYL 1 day ago
- Watching people use that @McDonalds touch screen ordering... Clearly the ux and process flow needs a lot of work. 3 days ago
- First time I've seen this touch screen ordering and payment kiosk at McDonald's. http://t.co/IJTw6FZIOb 3 days ago
- Of 200 apps installed on my phone, 49 of them have Watch apps. Pretty incredible for a brand new platform. 3 days ago
- Love that uber has finally added terminals and doors. Huge improvement for airport rides. http://t.co/Jhfh023FtF 4 days ago
- Elon Musk didn’t like his kids’ school, so he started his own May 24, 2015
- Email marketing technology is ridiculously complicated May 24, 2015
- Silicon Valley’s meritocracy: Maybe it’s time to give something back May 23, 2015
- With the future of government spying hanging in the balance, the Senate goes on vacation May 23, 2015
- 12 reasons you should never launch a startup in Boston May 23, 2015
- It’s time for government to get involved in IoT May 23, 2015
- Personalization study findings: Email is top channel; social, web, ads next; data needs vary May 23, 2015
- Visa Checkout marketing straddles real and digital May 23, 2015
- HiAlgo empowers PC players to run games better with Boost May 23, 2015
- A Chinese secret: why mobile publishers are spending big bucks on their own in-app purchases May 23, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Social media and the new world of work — my take
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Packaged pani puri as progress
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals – consumer FAQ
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- Technology's effects on our language
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Airbnb's changes don't go far enough
Monthly Archives: November 2006
I was flying into Atlanta yesterday and as the plane descended to the runway, I noticed that one of the buildings on the ground with a giant bullseye on it – Target. Next to it, there was a building with … Continue reading
I’m spending most of this week watching focus groups. It’s one of my favorite parts of my job. It’s a chance to see how real people react to the products that we create. I get to hear from people who … Continue reading
I’ve had more and more friends texting me lately and I’ve had to explain to them how much I hate text messaging. It’s inconvenient, unreliable and costly. Here’s a typical exchange: “R u there already” “Y, u” “Omw” This exchange … Continue reading
If you believe the incessant media hype, today is the biggest online shopping day of the year. Not true. Cyber Monday is a fiction created by a flack for the retail industry perpetuated by much of the mainstream media. But … Continue reading
My favorite MP3 player this year is small, lightweight, doesn’t hold a lot of songs and doesn’t come from Apple. You can only get it Target. A testament to Target’s marketing savvy, it also doubles as a $50 gift card. … Continue reading
The U.S. Mint will be issuing new dollar coins starting around President’s Day. With the failures of the Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea dollars it’s unlikely that the new presidential coins will do any better. The presidential series has the … Continue reading