I am the CEO of redesignmobile.
I frequently write for VentureBeat. I also talk about technology on Bloomberg TV and CNBC. I have also written for TechCrunch and GigaOm.
I have special expertise in small business, social networking and mobile payments.
I am probably best known for my critique of Groupon and the daily deals space.
- RT @jasonmcminn: Octopus in HK is what Apple Pay should be in US - no pin, no cash back prompt, no trans slow down @rakeshlobster http://t.… 3 hours ago
- RT @leonardspeiser: Apple's $18 billion in earnings this quarter shattered the previous high-water mark of $15.9 billion set in 2012 by Exx… 4 hours ago
- No need to obsess over Instagram, What'sApp monetization. They were both preemptive/defensive acquisitions. Nothing wrong with that. 5 hours ago
- $FB has the opposite problem of $GOOG and $AMZN. They want to be everything for everyone and completely lack focus. 5 hours ago
- $FB has some great plays in commerce, payments and search. Unfortunatel been way too focused to capitalize while others stake territory. 5 hours ago
- How to handle an unexpected offer for your early-stage startup January 29, 2015
- Gameloft’s full-year mobile gaming revenue hits $256M January 29, 2015
- Xbox Live down for many on Xbox One January 29, 2015
- Ucool to launch Super Bowl ad for Heroes Charge mobile game January 29, 2015
- Snapchat’s future is in the details — why Discover is only the beginning January 29, 2015
- Dylan’s Desk: Why Silicon Valley is still a man’s world January 29, 2015
- 5 lessons Silicon Valley can learn from Robert Scoble January 28, 2015
- Comcast is sorry that it changed one customer’s name to ‘Asshole’ January 28, 2015
- Even as it grows globally, Facebook’s North American revenues grew fastest January 28, 2015
- ZTE announces $250 dual-SIM Blade S6 smartphone January 28, 2015
- Why does Tina Fey not use the magnetic strip in her American Express commercials?
- How did Square lose the Apple Pay and Twitter partnerships while Stripe won?
- Is it possible for Square to lower the rate to 1.75% and compete with Amazon?
- Why is Square a popular choice for food trucks in San Francisco?
- Is it true, as Fast Company wrote recently, that Square is "no longer the high-flying startup it once was" (August 2014)?
- Thoughts on service startups
- My genius product/service list
- My genius list
- A few New Year’s changes to the @rakeshlobster twitter feed
- Bought a smart watch in the past 90 days on an AmEx or Discover? Don’t want it? Get your money back
- The death of nuance: Komen, ALS and Uber
- PR tip: Don’t use a celebrity’s death to pitch your company
- You have a friend who is depressed? Here’s what to do
- The smartest question I was asked by an entrepreneur and team member
- Why I retweet racist assholes
- Thoughts on service startups
- Groupon, LivingSocial and daily deals - merchant FAQ
- A look at Groupon's extremely lopsided merchant agreement
- A sample Groupon merchant agreement
- Communicating amongst friends: how technology changes human relationships
- Best practices for businesses considering Groupon, LivingSocial or Google Offers
- LivingSocial merchant agreement
- Yelp advertiser agreement
- The terrible numbers that Groupon doesn't want you to focus on
- Answers from the Insurance Information Institute on Airbnb
Monthly Archives: November 2006
I was flying into Atlanta yesterday and as the plane descended to the runway, I noticed that one of the buildings on the ground with a giant bullseye on it – Target. Next to it, there was a building with … Continue reading
I’m spending most of this week watching focus groups. It’s one of my favorite parts of my job. It’s a chance to see how real people react to the products that we create. I get to hear from people who … Continue reading
I’ve had more and more friends texting me lately and I’ve had to explain to them how much I hate text messaging. It’s inconvenient, unreliable and costly. Here’s a typical exchange: “R u there already” “Y, u” “Omw” This exchange … Continue reading
If you believe the incessant media hype, today is the biggest online shopping day of the year. Not true. Cyber Monday is a fiction created by a flack for the retail industry perpetuated by much of the mainstream media. But … Continue reading
My favorite MP3 player this year is small, lightweight, doesn’t hold a lot of songs and doesn’t come from Apple. You can only get it Target. A testament to Target’s marketing savvy, it also doubles as a $50 gift card. … Continue reading
The U.S. Mint will be issuing new dollar coins starting around President’s Day. With the failures of the Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea dollars it’s unlikely that the new presidential coins will do any better. The presidential series has the … Continue reading